Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cloches and a link party

"The French developed the glass cloche, formed of a solid piece of glass shaped like a dome. The purpose was to protect early seedlings from frost and cold weather. Using the cloche allowed the little seedlings to grow faster. The English and the Dutch expanded this idea and redesigned the cloches using cast iron frames and sometimes Terra cotta ( information from English Creek Gardens)"

Today cloches are everywhere! They are still used in the garden but have moved into the house for a beautiful way to decorate and highlight a special treasure.
Although I have several, these little ones are my favorite, They hold little mementos that I do not want to lose and that make me smile.





Tarnished silver dachshund resting on a block of salt.


Love this base, the bottom of an old column!



Linking to A Stroll Thru Life summer Cloche party.



5 comments:

  1. Cloches are fun to decorate. Thanks for all the info.

    I love your cloches with the cute little dogs.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little puppy's are just precious under the cloche. Beautiful images of others also. Thanks so much for joining the party. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cloches are just delightful. What a very beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ELIZABETH!!!!!

    Oh dearest, I FOUND YOU....my friend Violet from Create Beauty was telling me about a cloche party but she was not able to remember where it started...well here is the link...but YOU, YOU IS WHO I WANTED TO FIND!!!! THANK YOU FOR COMING BACK Because I know that I had really liked your blog....PINE CONES AND ACORNS...OK I can't loose you. I will snatch your link and put you on my list. I LOVE CLOCHES and have several around my home. AND...thank you for your ever so kind words upon your visit today. THANK YOU. Blogland is a kind place and I have been fortunate to meet such kind souls. Your words are sweet and merci mille fois for your support.!!!

    Now off to put you on my blog list!!!

    Fondly, Anita

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...