Sunday, July 10, 2011

Panna Cotta with Raspberries Recipe

Delicious!

Panna Cotta is one of my favorite desserts ever! It is so easy, so refreshing and so versatile and is the perfect summer dessert. There are many versions out there and there are many toppings for it, I prefer it with raspberries but you can use almost any berry or mango's, or whatever you want. There are chocolate versions, vanilla bean versions, almond, etc. Try it today and you will love it too!

Panna Cotta
Adapted from David Lebovitz

Ingredients:
4 cups  heavy cream (or half-and-half)
1/2 cup  sugar
2 teaspoons Nielsen-Massey vanilla extract
2 packets powdered gelatin (about 4 1/2 teaspoons)
6 tablespoons cold water




1. Heat the heavy cream and sugar in a saucepan. Dissolve the sugar and remove from heat then stir in the vanilla extract.
2. Lightly oil eight ramekins with a oil, such as canola.
3. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a medium-sized bowl and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Pour the warm milk/sugar mixture over the gelatin and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
5. Divide the Panna Cotta mixture into the prepared ramekins, then chill them until firm, which will take at least two hours, preferably overnight.
6. Run a sharp knife around the edge of each ramekin and then dip the bottom of the ramekin into hot water for just a minute. This makes it easier to remove, although it is not a necessary step as you can serve it in the ramikins.


Cream and Sugar mixture

Gelatin sprinkled over cold water

Lightly oil ramekins

Sugar cream mixture into gelatin

Mix well

Divide mixture into ramekins

Raspberry sauce:

1 small package of raspberries
1 tsp of sugar


Raspberries and sugar over low heat.
Place both of the above into a small saucepan and heat gently while crushing berries. Let cool and then push through a sieve to get the juice without seeds. discard the seeds.

To serve, place a tablespoons of raspberries onto a small plate and then unmold the panna cotta and place over the raspberries coulis, add a few fresh raspberries and a sprig of fresh mint.


Notes: I only made a 1/2 of the recipe. In addition, I only had 11/2 cups of cream so I used skim milk. Also, when you place the ramekin into the hot water do not do it for more than 30 seconds or so, otherwise it melts.



Finished!

I have had this dessert many times, in fact on my last trip to Paris in December I ate it everyday. I had it with rhubarb on the bottom and raspberries on top, with just raspberries and another day with small chunks of mango! All versions are delicious.


Add a spring of mint!




via Stone Gable
via Savvy Southern Style

I am also participating in Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum. Come on over and check out the delicious looking recipes.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Elizabeth - you made my mouth water! :-)
    Di
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! What can I say....Just simply delicious!!!

    Will certainly try to prepare it! Thank you very much indeed for this introduction! And raspberry sauce is one of my favorite.
    Greetings from Périgord,
    Karin

    P.S. Thanks for visiting my blog and your lovely comment, you're well come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Raspberries, my favourite! The mango is very tempting too. Many thanks Elizabeth, I love tried and true. :)

    Thank you also for your encouraging comments...I am moving slowly but happily!

    Jeanne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an exquisite dessert! So classy and creamy delicious. Your images and directions beckon me to make it. YUMMY!
    Thank you for participating in ON THE MENU MONDAY. Your dessert is inspirational.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to try this recipe! I LOVE raspberries, too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...