Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hurricane Irene...

Hurricane Irene has caused havoc for 65 million people this weekend, and I am just one of them. Although we sustained some water damage to our kitchen eating nook and have now been without power for 24 hours I am so lucky and I thank God. There are 2.5 million people in Virginia without power, and that is the least of the problems, there was terrible flooding, loss of property and sadly loss of life.

We spent the day cleaning the debris from the yard and the water mess in the house, and then because we have no phone, tv, etc spent time cleaning closets and enjoying one another's company.

I am posting from my iPad, and writing by the light of a candle. I have an excellent book I am reading but I find the light of one candle a challenge. How in the heck did people do this on a daily basis?

I have to tell you that in the light of day you can weather a storm but when you have no power, and there is no light anywhere, not even a lightening bug, just pitch black outside, the storm takes on a life of it's own. I have never been so afraid in my life! Blackness everywhere as far as the eye can see, and that is not far, the roar of the wind, the groaning and the creaking of the rafters of the house and the lashing rain, makes for a long, long dark
night.

In any case, I wanted to thank my family, friends and my wonderful blog friends for their prayers, support and calls. I could not have made it without you.

3 comments:

  1. Goodness! Here in Europe we are thinking about you all. It's incredible to watch and here the storm. I'm glad you are ok, and hope the power is back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious one....I was praying for you ALL all weekend. I was so saddened to hear of the deaths...not many, but MUCH TO MUCH. I pray your power be restored soon. A friend in New Jersey is still without power and I just could not get through to her at all this weekend.

    Peace to you all, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Elizabeth,
    I have been a bit absent this weekend and only now just catching up with you. How horrendous it all sounds, I can't imagine what it feels like to have such a storm hurtle towards you knowing you are in the lap of the gods with not ability to fight it. Thank goodness you are ok and I wish I could be there to help you clean things up.

    My thoughts are with you.
    SO glad you are both safe. Enjoy the darkness, silence and peace!
    Di
    X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...