Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Recent finds from my Virginia Travels!

I thought I would show you a couple of photo's of the things I purchased last weekend while traveling through Virginia on my ways to the Tides Inn! Although I did see a lot of great things I tried to be selective because things are getting a little crowded in the house!

I told you I purchased two antique fishing creel baskets, which I love. You cannot really tell from the photos but there is a story to be told from these baskets. The patina, the water logged and starched leather handle to the rusty lock tell tales of long days fishing. There is a slot at the top to drop your catch in and supposedly this type also serves as a stool to sit on. I do not know too much about fishing accouterments as I have not done too much of it. I just liked them and knew I wanted to put them on this little wall between my family room and keeping room.







Another things I bought is this very old well bucket. It is so cool. A friend has a little one and I have been searching for one ever since I saw hers, finally I found one! It is pretty big and the handle is hand forged iron. This old bucket has a little wear where it connects to the bucket but it just gives it character. The bucket itself is heavy, so I cannot imagine having to lug that thing in and out of a well and then back and forth to my house to wash, do dished or even take a bath! That is a lot of work! This bucket was in a huge barn and it was the home to a big nasty spider, I do not know what kind but I call every spider that I see a brown recluse, thankfully the lady that owned the place killed it for me. Otherwise I do not think that bucket was getting into the car.









Lastly, I bought a few fishing floats. My mom has a very old one from our time living in Alaska, and they remind me of home and her. These actually were piled up inside of a chicken coop. Between the dirt and the huge spiders I had to rely on the owner of the place to pick me a couple of good ones.





 Once I cleaned them off they looked great. So that is all of my finds! I hope you liked them, I know that I do.

If you know anything about any of the above items let me know, I would love to hear more about them.


I am joining these link parties:









6 comments:

  1. THESE are wonderful FINDS!!! I loved Virginia the few times that I was there; it is so different from what I grew up with! Especially Williamsburg, DC and W. Virginia. GREAT BASKETS MY DEAREST!!!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! They are so lovely. I have an old Breton lobster pot with some really pretty blue floats, it's so delightful. Your Virginnian finds are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you imagine, that well bucket was probably used as someone's only source of water. I would cherish it!
    Yay, it's almost the weekend Elizabeth.
    Di
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you found some great things. Love the baskets.
    Blessings`

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful finds! I live in Va and I was wondering where you found these great things.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...