Thursday, September 22, 2011

Banoffee Recipe

via Pine Cones and Acorns


It is no secret that I am a sweet lover and not too keen on salty foods. I found a kindred spirit in Elf when he mentioned that the four food groups for elves were candy, candy canes(do not like these), candy corns(love them) and syrup! As I had guests last weekend there was no rest for the weary or is that wicked? I was baking and cooking up a storm, I made breads, brownies,cookies, lasagna and I this dessert just for me! It is from England and I have had it there a few times, I have also had it many times in the U.S. at Irish and English pubs.

The dessert is called banoffee. It is basically a graham cracker crust, with a toffee made from condensed milk and then bananas and whipped cream. If you have never had it and you like bananas,toffee, and whipped cream then you must try this.

Banoffee

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup butter melted
1/2 cup white sugar

1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 to 4 bananas, sliced
2 cups heavy whipping cream

1. Take the can of sweetened condensed milk and place in a large pot of water, bring to a boil and then simmer for 3 hours. You must keep the water over the top of the can. Remove can from water and let cool for 20 minutes.

2. Mix melted butter, sugar and graham crackers, press in the bottom of a 9 inch pie pan. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Cool.

3.Whip cream with electric mixer or whisk, add powdered sugar to taste.

4. Once toffee is cooled take the graham cracker crust, place sliced bananas over the crust and the pour the toffee over the top. Then top with whipped cream. Refrigerate before serving.

There are short cuts if you are afraid to boil the milk. Some people use canned Dulce De leche, I have made it this way but I do prefer the sweetened condense milk boiled.

I like to make individual servings. I take the baked crust cool it and then break in into little pieces. I place these pieces into ramekins and then layer as listed above.

This desert needs to be refrigerated for at least an hour, to the let the flavors meld together.





All other photos via Pine Cones and Acorns

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I love all those flavors and it sounds simple...a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my yum! I think I've seen something like this...looks delicious and I love your transferware!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across your blog on Designs by Gollum and I love your post!

    I would love it if you would drop by Jane Deere and link up to Fusion Fridays with your favorite or most recent recipes, handmade crafts, diy projects, tips & tricks, and how to's! { open through Wednesday! }

    Jane Deere

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! Your pictures are making me drool. :)
    hugs~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...