Monday, September 26, 2011

Butternut Squash Cake Recipe


Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a great weekend. We had rain, rain and more rain. I think it has now rained for 10 days, which is a little disconcerting because I have I 4x6 foot hole in the ceiling of the keeping room. Luckily it has not been a windy, driving rain because so far we have not gotten any water in the house, of course one does get tired of looking at a blue tarp and a bucket.

I am a Nester at heart and there is nothing I like better than a day at home baking, reading, napping, etc. So yesterday I did all of the above, I slept in, read in bed with a cup of hot chocolate, and baked and cooked. I will share some of the cooking later, today it is all about butternut squash.

Although I normally do not eat butternut squash, if you add a little sugar I can be persuaded.

Butternut squash cake:

Ingredients

1 cup of all purpose flour
11/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup peeled and shredded butternut squash
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup better melted
1 egg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan, set to the side.

2. Combine the flour, pumpkin pie spice, ginger,  baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.

3. Combine the squash, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla  in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed until combines. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture. Beat until well mixed.

4. Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 23-27 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and dust with powdered sugar.

* Substitute 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger. 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp ground cloves.

This cake is excellent, it is moist, spicy, and easy!The only part that is a pain is peeling the butternut squash and grating it. For this recipe I wanted more of a spice flavor so I opted for the individual spices instead of the pumpkin pie spice.











all photos Pine cones and acorns


Linking to:
remodelaholic recipes
On the Menu Mondays
Fat Camp Fridays
Feasting In Fellowship Fridays
Food Friday
Food Trip Friday
Friday Favorites
Friday Potluck
Full Plate Thursday
Hearth And Soul Blog Hop
Joy Of Desserts
Made From Scratch Tuesday
Permanent Posies
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays
Sweet Tooth Friday
Tasty Tuesday
This Chick Cooks
Modern Country Style

7 comments:

  1. Ah, it sounds as though you had the perfect day!
    Thanks for the delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY DEAREST! Why do I keep missing your previous posts? I am really busy and I am now finding myself blogging at the early morning hour as usual but also at night to catch up and STILL I miss things! THIS IS YUMMY! Squash can be used for so many things, and one of my favorites is ROASTED ACORN SQUASH SOUP! Sooooo good!

    Enjoy a NESTING DAY!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm glad I found you!!!! YUMMY!!!! This recipe sounds delicious!

    I really want to thank you for your words about my interview yesterday. You're very sweet! :-)

    It's great to meet you!

    Have a fantastic Tuesday!

    xo

    Luciane at HomeBunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also a nester, your yesterday sounds like a perfect day to me. Your squash cake looks scrumptious and perfect for these fall days.
    Hugs and Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great with a nice cuppa tea.
    Milk and one sugar please Elizabeth!
    Di
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, yummy! That looks so moist and perfect! Please ave me some...I'm coming on over!

    Thank you for linking up to Modern Country Style's Fall In Love link party!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so tastey, and very autumnal. I even think the icing dusting gives it the hint of the coming winter!!

    I want to go and bake now!

    Lizzy x

    p.s. I've created a baking page on my blog site of recipes I find that look yummy and I recommend, and if you would like, I would love to put this recipe on it and a link back to your blog, let me know if you want to!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...