Saturday, November 12, 2011

Happy Birthday to me! Lessons from life!


Happy Birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me...


via pinterest

Today is obviously my birthday! I am 45, and I was thinking this past week that there are many things I have learned in my 45 years of life. So I complied a list to remind myself of these lessons  and perhaps to pass on a little nugget of information to you.

Lessons from a life:
1. You do not get any help unless you ask for it. Never be to proud or too stubborn to ask, it will save you a lot of time and heartache.

2. No one can make you happy but YOU! People can add to your happiness but not make it.

3. Life is sometimes awkward,and humiliating, like the time a guy I was dating called to tell me we could not go out on Saturday because he was getting married ( I am not kidding). But he said he would call me the next week (Why?) Calmness and grace will save face.

4. Just because you are a step-mother, does not mean you are a step-monster.

4. Sometimes women do not have children for a reason, either they could not, or in my case, they did not want too. And guess what? That's OK, it dose not make me less of a woman.

5. Sometimes when life hands you lemons and you make lemonade, the lemonade still tastes bitter. Keep trying, the next batch won't.

6. Sometimes your knight doesn't ride in on a horse, sometimes he walks in wearing rusty armour.

7. We all have baggage, just don't carry it around and let it weigh you down, either get someone to help you carry it, or discard it. Because  it will drag you down for the rest of your life if you don't.

8. Sometimes life sucks and it isn't fair, and there are no answers; like when my sister found the love of her life and after 6 years together got engaged, and then her fiancee had an aneurysm and died.

9. The best things in life are free---life, love, friendship, family and happiness.

10. For some people "Honor is a way of life" are not words to live by...they are the slogan of a company.

11. Even when you break your parents hearts, they still love you.

12. Words are the most powerful thing you have, be very careful how you use them. You can utter a word/words that can change a life for the good or you can utter words that will crush someone soul.

13. Never squish any ones dreams, it may be all they have.

14. Sometimes saying nothing is better than saying something.

15. If you haven't spoken to someone in 20 years, there is a reason.

16. Money doesn't buy you happiness, but do not tell that to someone who doesn't have any.

17. A smile is your best accessory.

18. Everyday can be a holiday.

19. Sing even if you think you can't, your voice is music to someones ears.

20. Show gratitude everyday.

21. Travel as much as you can while you are young, when you are older life gets in the way.

22. You are powerful beyond measure. You never know what you are capable of until the worst happens.

23. Love yourself most. Be a priority in your own life and take care of yourself as well or better than you take care of everyone else. Because if you don't no one is going to.

24. Miracles happen everyday. Open your eyes so that you can see them.

25. There is power in prayer. "When you cannot stand it anymore...kneel." (via pinterst)


Are there any lessons that you have learned in life that you want to share with me? Send me a birthday lesson from your life in your comment!












12 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR DEAR FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!

    I LOVE YOUR ADVICE...I will come via email....OH MY GOODNESS, this is call for celebration!!!! BISOUS! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just coming by to give you a virtual hug....Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyeux Anniversaire...Joyeux Anniversaire...Happy Birthday DEAREST ELIZABETH...Joyeux Anniversaire!!!! (Sung with great feeling and joy!!)
    I am so glad Anita was here first!!!!
    Dear Elizabeth..a magnificent, joyous, healthy, fabulous Birthday To You!!!
    How wonderful! I now can understand why we have so many interests in common, for my B-Day is this Tuesday:) Cheers to you, fellow Scorpio!
    I love your image of the champagne and chocolate cake..I wish you a splendid day of pampering and decadence, all for you.
    Wonderful advice, you are a wise and beautiful
    woman. You could publish a little advice book with those gems. My goodness, what can one possibly add to that?
    I am sending you a great big birthday hug and love across the miles!
    xoxo,
    - Irina :)

    P.S. Thank you so much for writing to me..I think I'm managing the cold with fluids, gargling, etc. THANK YOU!
    And dear Anita is hopefully on the mend as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOOOO HOOOOOOO MY TWO FABULOUS FRIENDS HERE TOGETHER! Let's party..........

    IRINA IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY TOO????? WHAT???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I loved reading your list...I love everything you write. :) You are wise beyond your years and I can tell you that it just gets better and better, trust me...45 is just the beginning. Hope you are doing something extra special today..thinking of you across the pond..

    Jeanne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy,
    Happy,
    HAPPY
    Birthday!!!
    Such wise observations
    from a life truly LIVED.
    I believe #20 is key as
    we traverse the second
    half of our 40's : ). I know
    I am grateful that you
    found me in Blog Land!
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you a very happy birthday:-) your list is wonderful, Jude x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth...first off HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! So sorry I am a day late, cathcing up on all my blogs....do hope you had a very very happy birthday and wishing you a year filled with an abundance of love, laughter and joy.
    I loooove your list! You covered just about all of them. I might add that a really indulgent snack can at least temporarily makes things better:) I so agree about many of them and especially the "not being afraid to ask for help" and the best things in life really are free, and so many others. This is a list we should all print and pin up to remind ourselves of whats really important. THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS Hope you treated yourself to one heck of a decadent celebratory dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday. Love your list, so many resignated with me. You sure did a wonderful job of covering all the bases but the only one I would add is you must love yourself for others to fully love you as well. I really do believe that if you love yourself and believe in yourself, others will too.
    Hope your birthday was a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elizabeth, dear friend!

    What could be better than love and laughter with the ones most dear too us! How wonderful that your mom and sister surprised you, the BEST present!! Are they living in Milwaukee?

    I am so happy you had a terrific birthday..

    And I must say, we are very blessed by you, and we celebrate you!

    Thank you for asking, my dad and sister are taking us out to a local French bistro. Just wanting something quiet, it's only the second birthday for me without my mom, so it's still a bit rough this time of year.

    Blessings to you, and a beautiful week ahead!
    xoxo,
    - Irina :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Penblwydd Hapus Elizabeth!
    That's Welsh for Happy Birthday!!!!

    What a wonderful list and I agree with every one of them. One thing I have learnt and will share this wisdom with all is:
    "Don't Google your ailments"!!!!!

    Hope you have a wonderful birthday dear friend and wish I was there to share some joy with you!
    Much Love
    Di
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...