Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chocolate Pumpkin Pie, a Twist on Tradition

This recipe contains two of my favorite ingredients, chocolate and pumpkin. I confess was a little skeptical of trying this recipe because I LOVE, LOVE. LOVE, pumpkin pie! I thought why mess with perfection, or at least perfection to me.



The recipe was featured on the new talk show with Mario Batali and Daphne Oz, Michael Symons, Carla Hall, and Clinton Kelly, The Chew. Each of the hosts were featuring their favorite Thanksgiving recipes and this one one of them. So I tried it...and it is very good. The chocolate is a delicious addition to the spices of the pumpkin pie, and it is a wonderful twist on tradition! So if you are looking for something new and different to spice up your Thanksgiving meal and to add chocolate to your day this is the recipe for you.



Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
Directions and Ingredients:
Recipe Adapted from The Chew TV Show

Crust:
1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Sugar
1/2 cup Unsalted butter (very cold and cut into small pieces)
2-3 tablespoons Ice Cold Water
 Combine the flour, salt, sugar and butter in a food processor and pulse until coarse, with small marbles of butter remaining. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the ice water and pulse until crumbly, and dough holds when squeezed together. Add another sprinkle of water if too dry, but do not over mix. Transfer dough to a plastic bag, press into a disk, and refrigerate for one hour. Preheat oven to 425F. 
 Roll out dough on floured surface. Press into pie plate, trim to leave 1-inch excess around edges, fold under and flute edges. Cut a piece of parchment or nonstick foil to the size of the pie, and use to line pie crust. Fill with pie weights, and bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
Chocolate:

 3 oz Bittersweet Chocolate (very finely chopped)
6 oz Semisweet Chocolate (chopped)
4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (cut into small pieces)
 In a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter, stirring frequently until smooth, and remove from heat.
Pumpkin Filling
1 14 oz Can Pumpkin
1 12 oz Can Evaporated Milk
3/4 cup Packed Light-Brown Sugar
3 Large Eggs
1 tablespoon Cornstarch
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
3/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
Pinch of Ground Cloves
 In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, evaporated milk, light brown sugar, eggs, cornstarch, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Fold in the chocolate mixture, and pour into pie crust. Place pie pan on a baking sheet.  Bake at 325F until center of pie has set, about an hour. Refrigerate until cooled completely to serve.



NOTE: I was lazy and used a purchased crust. You can do the same or use your own crust recipe, I know that many people have a favorite family recipe, as do I.
Let me know if you try this and what you think!

Linking to :

5 comments:

  1. The slice of pie with whipped cream looks delicious. I would never have thought chocolate would work with pumpkin pie, but I'll take your word for it. I may have to try this one. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, my mouth is watering here!!
    Definitely going in my recipe file, thank you...
    I am being EXTRA lazy, and for Thursday I'm ordering a special pumpkin pie with gorgeous chocolate "pyramides" on top from our French bakery..I will take photos of it to post, yum!
    Hope Thanksgiving plans are going smoothly for you.
    A beautiful day to you..
    xoxo,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure I am gaining weight reading your post's Elizabeth! That pumpkin pie looks heavenly :)
    Abby xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth dearest, dearest friend!

    I am finally free for a couple of days now! It was quite a daunting task to keep up with this schedule, but I am so glad it is over! We were going to have dinner here, now it looks as if we are going to someone's home. I should try this pie to take with us!!! I am still sick however, and I crave just sleeping, which is what I am going to do right now....night night sweet friend, and I am SO THANKFUL FOR YOU and IRINA!!!!!!!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning darling friend...just coming by for a slice...Anita

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...