Monday, November 7, 2011

Recent Reads! Great Books!

I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend. It was a crispy Fall weekend, I did a lot of baking, and reading, my two favorite things oh, and eating too.

These are a few of the books I have read in the past two weeks, I thought you might be interested in a few.





The Long Walk Home by Will North

This is the story of love, loss, hope, grief and every emotion in between. Alec Hudson, travels to London along with his ex-wife's ashes and walks from Heathrow airport to North Wales to fulfill her dying wish to scatter her ashes on a mountain they had climber years before, which boarders the farm of Fiona Edwards.  From the moment he arrives at Fiona's their lives are changed.


The Winter House by Nicci Gerrard


This books was good but a little depressing. It is the story of three friends, Marnie, Oliver and Ralph, who loved each other deeply and had a falling out. Twenty years later Marnie, who lives in London, gets a call from Oliver  to come to Scotland to spend the last remaining days of Ralph's life with them.
Francesca's Kitchen by Peter Pezzelli


This is the second book I have read by Peter Pezzelli, and I liked this as much as the other Home to Italy,  it is about Francesca, a widowed Italian that is an empty nester and looking for something to occupy her time. To fulfill her need for family and people to nourish she applies for a job as nanny to a single mom with two kids. This is a light hearted and light, entertaining read.


Jane Austin Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo


Emma Grant seems to have it all, great teaching job, with a specialty in all things Jane Austen, a husband and plans for a family. Then her world falls apart, she finds her husband in bed with another woman, and she is accused of plagiarism. So she does what any woman would do in a situation like this, she packs her bags and heads off to England to track down the missing letters of Jane Austen. This is a light read and a bit of escapism with a little mystery and the sights of Jane Austen's England thrown in for good measure.


The Lost Garden by Helen Humphreys


 I loved this book! Gwen Davis is a Horticulturalists who leaves London during the Blitz for an estate in Devon where she is too lead a group of women who will grown food for the land army.  While attempting to coral these women who are away from home for the first time, Gwen experiences, friendship, love, loss and brings a forgotten garden back to life. This book stays with you after you read it, I do not know if it is because you get a glimpse of the war, and the toll it takes on a country, or because you watch a woman who has never know love or friendship, grow up and flower just like her garden.


A Gift from Brittany by Majorie Price: A Memoir of Love, and Loss in the French Countryside


An excellent read! Follow the story of a young American artist from Chicago, who leaves her life in America to go to France to follow her dream, at a time when this was just not the thing.  Midge meets and falls in love with a volatile French painter, Yves and soon after marries and has a child. While they search the countryside for a summer place, they come upon a little village, as well as, a collection of houses that is totally unsuitable for her dream. Yves thinks differently, and they spend years reviving this property while at the same time their marriage crumbles, and his support for her art deteriorates. Midge flees Paris with her young daughter and discovers in Brittany a friendship with an unlikely villager, the growth of her love for her daughter and a strength in herself that she thought was lost. A really beautiful story, I could not put it down.


I also recently discovered these beautiful classics from Penguin, they are designed by Coralie Bickford-Smith. What a wonderful addition to your collection. Go here to check out Coralie's design process.





 Have a great week!






8 comments:

  1. Hello Elizabeth!
    Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment, it's always so nice to meet new bloggers!!
    Oh and if you really love that brown transferware coffee pot it is for sale :)
    Looking forward to getting to know you and your blog!!
    xo
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, I'm always thrilled to find books set in Brittany, where my holiday home is, my favourite place in the world. And I have a few Jane Austen inspired books, so will be glad to add another to my pile. Than you again for such great recommendations .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the list..I always welcome new ideas, Winter House was recommended to me and if I am not mistaken I think its sitting on my book shelf..sounds really good as do a few others. I am a little behind in my reading, I tend to go on binges, and right now am finding it hard to find time but will keep this handy.
    BY THE WAY THE CARROT CAKE WAS OUT OF THIS WORLD. PROOF...THE ONLY THING LEFT IS A PLATE WITH APPROX. 4 CRUMBS, I KID YOU NOT!
    Made the BEST midnight snack...shhhhh!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Elizabeth,
    You are a bookworm! How wonderful to find another one. I love books, and have so many waiting on my side table that I cannot take any of your recommendations. Let's keep reading and sharing, though, and some day we'll hit the same one.

    Joy!
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list Elizabeth, I will have to get around to this. Hope your week is going OK.
    Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. GOOD MORNING SWEET FRIEND!

    Isn't reading just the greatest past-time????? I was enthralled on Sunday afternoon by just some poetry....and there are some French novels that I never tire of as well...oh, to have more time!

    I WILL COME BACK VIA EMAIL..I see I have a treat awaiting me in my inbox!!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth Dear,

    Thank you for these recommendations, what a delicious pleasure to read and read some more!
    Like Anita, I adore poetry. It is perfect for someone who has little snippets of time here and there. But I think I may have to order the book on Brittany from my library. I love the area, and since you recommend it so...
    Merci!!

    A beautiful week to you,
    xoxo,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am jotting all
    of these down, as I
    haven't read any of
    them....all sound like
    my type, too. I just
    started The Language
    of Flowers and so far,
    so good! Thanks for
    the recommendations!
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...