Sunday, January 8, 2012

Chocolate Panettone Pudding


Happy Sunday! I hope that you are keeping warm and cozy this weekend. I am still trying to shake my cold, I guess as you get older it takes longer to recuperate? Either that or I have a super bug! It is strange because it seems as if I take two steps forward and then 3 back, and I have heard the same from other blog friends. Oh well, at least I was well enough to be up and around. I was tired of being in bed.



 I have been busy baking. As I said the other day, I am trying to use up many of the leftover items that I had from Christmas. As I had an abundance of chocolate morsels, and a panettone, I decided to find a recipe for bread pudding. Do you know panettone? It is a tall, cylindrical sweet bread made during the holidays, originally from Milan and it contains candied fruits, such as orange, citron, lemon, and raisins. This bread is delicious on its own but I had an extra and did not want it to go to waste.

 I know that there are many recipes out there for bread pudding and if you have a favorite then by all means use that one. If you are not a bread pudding fan, I think this may convert you and if you love chocolate I promise you will love this dessert.
 


 After perusing a few of my favorite cookbooks, and the Internet I settled on a recipe from Paula Dean and then I adapted it to suit my taste. The original recipe can be found here. I think it is easy, and delicious, and it fit the bill.
Ingredients
  • 1-pound Panettone, cut into small cubes
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup Baileys Irish Cream
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 6 eggs lightly beaten
  • 8 oz 60% Chocolate morsels
  • 4 oz semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Lightly grease a 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Place the cubed  bread in the baking dish.
In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, and liqueur.
In another bowl, combine the granulated and brown sugars with the cocoa powder and mix well. Add this to the milk mixture and whisk to combine.
Add the vanilla to the beaten eggs. Combine the egg mixture with the milk mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread cubes; let stand, stirring occasionally, for at least 20 minutes, or until the bread has absorbed most of the milk mixture. Bake the pudding for 1 hour, or until set; a knife inserted into the center of the pudding should come out clean. Serving the pudding warm, or refrigerate it and serve chilled. Serve with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or drizzled with heavy cream.



This chocolate panettone pudding is fabulous! It is light, creamy, and chocolaty, with a nugget of candied  fruit every once in awhile. The raisins, citrus or the orange pieces in the panettone add an extra but light flavor to the dish;  as there are not to many of them in the bread they do not overpower the chocolate. If you like chocolate covered fruit then you will enjoy having these little nuggets in the pudding. Although it is delicious straight from the oven, the flavors meld and the following day it is even more delicious. My family likes to eat it with heavy cream drizzled over the top or served with vanilla ice cream.




I hope you enjoy your day, and if you should try this recipe do let me know what you think? Or if you have one of your own I would love to try it.

Don't forget the return of Downton Abby. I cannot wait to see what happens next! Will you be watching or were you impatient and have already watched it online?


Linking to these fabulous parties!

This Chick Cooked at This Chick Cooks
Friday Food at Mom Trends
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum 
Wednesday Show Off  at Elna-Sudden. 
French Country Living


9 comments:

  1. My goodness, if I actually ate this, I do believe it would be the best of all worlds...CHOCOLATE, NUTS, a bready texture all rolled up into one! But the most wonderful thing about it is I KNOW it was made with love.

    Dearest Elizabeth, your kind words and friendship have that Butterfly Effect; let this new year be filled with the fairy dust of REAL GENUINE LOVE FROM ABOVE!!!!!!!!!!

    Be well...oh, BE WELL! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, this chocolate bread pudding looks amazing! I will have to make this for my husband as he adores chocolate. I am going to wait and watch "Downton Abbey" on TV tonight. Can't wait!
    Sunday xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks HEAVENLY...Elizabeth. You should take it easy, you don't want a relapse! Be well, take lots of vitamic C and liquids to flush this out of your systerm, hopefully nothing some good homemade baking can't cure:)
    Yes loooooove Panettone, we get it from a great bakery in Little Italy around the holidays and its quite delicious but I bet yours is even better!
    Hoping you feel much better VERY SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm laughing Elizabeth...feeding a cold are we? I love bread pudding and will have to give this a try it sounds fabulous. It's a cold it'll go away after, unfortunately, ten days so take care and don't do to much to soon.

    Hugs!
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear friend...please take it easy! Sending many healing thoughts of love your way..:) And HUGS!
    This incredible, comforting bread pudding is "pudding" me over the edge!!! Yowza:)))
    I adore bread pudding. When I used to work at Dayton's (did you have Hudson's in Milwaukee?), my lunch break would turn into a little piece of heaven when they offered bread pudding with a luscious sauce!
    I've never considered Pannetone for this, but it sounds terrific..enjoy, sweet friend!

    Get well very soon, Elizabeth dear!!!
    xoxoxo,
    - Irina (And I thank you for stopping by chez moi..I'm always so happy to see your messages. The mil visit was intense, to say the least...I think I'll stop there before I get myself in trouble:)))
    Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds soooo yummy!
    If I didn't have a few goodies
    still in my fridge/pantry from
    the holidays, I'd make it tomorrow.
    Hope you are 100%, soon. It's
    hard to be dragging when you
    have a lot of things that you
    want to do! Trust me, I know : )

    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum yum yummy! My brother has had the same bug as you by the sound of it, he's been ill since Christmas eve and can't seem to shake it.

    I hope your Sunday was relaxing - did you enjoy Downton?
    Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So decadent and yummy looking. Thanks so much for sharing on Momtrends for Friday Food.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...