Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Exercise for the New Year, New You

I am still under the weather today, but I have been moving around blog land, while trying to shake my horrible cold, and I can see that loosing weight is one of the top New Years Resolutions (no surprise). Because there are a million diets, and ideas for loosing weight I decided to focus on the exercise instead of the food.



Not to mention, diets and healthy eating are not my forte, I personally could exist on macaroni and cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches, cheese of any sort, pizza, salads and hot chocolate but I have yet to find these items on any "diets" or serious healthy eating plans. If you do find a plan with these food  items pass it along, I would love to see it.  


Pinterest (which I read is the new Facebook) proved to be a great source for workouts as well, as it is every other topic imaginable. I tried to focus on workouts that you could do at home and without a gym, because studies show that people who do not have to travel to workout are more successful staying on their program.


Do you workout? Do you like it or do you do it begrudgingly? I like to workout but am easily bored, so like most people I have tried pretty much everything; jogging, Pilate's, yoga, aerobics, and many more. As I get older,  I get lazier and find that I want to workout while doing something else, like talking to friends, or to be on the phone or whatever else I can do at the same time.


 My "workout" of choice is walking.  I personally LOVE to walk! I like to meander, to power walk, to amble and everything in between. I have been a jogger at times but I always go back to walking.

I have also tried a workout boot camp, and I loved it. The downside was that we met at 5:30 in the morning, and after the hour workout I was so tired I needed a nap because I am not an early bird. I am a night owl.

As for weights, I am not a huge fan, although I do use them. The only time I did a serious weight workout with my brother in law, I could not walk for a week and had to slide down the stairs on my butt because my legs hurt so bad.

I love yoga but I do not like to do any inversion poses. I am afraid I am going to snap my neck doing a handstand or a headstand. It is an unfounded fear, but mine none the less. Honestly, and I know there are others that agree with me, my favorite yoga pose is shavasana, and it is even better when the instructor comes around and gives you a neck rub with essential oils.


What sorts of exercise plans do you have for the New Year? Will you try something new or stick to a tried and true favorite?

I think that many of these ideas from Pinterest are easy, and fun, frankly you could do them while watching TV or between commercials. I might have to try the one above.

I will let you know how it goes, let me know what you try I would love to hear.


9 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth..sorry to hear you are still not feeling great, so many people sick around here too. I think you and I could be soul mates, I stick to the "free spirit" diet which is simple...eat what you want. lol...I do indulge in good cheeses, loooove pasta, made pasta fagiole soup and chicken scarpiello tonight for dinner, and its heavenly..whats life without good food. And dont' even get me started on dessert!
    But I also know age is not kind to the pounds creeping up and exercise is key to at least keeping things under some control so thats my big resolution this year, more exercise, like you I enjoy walking and bring Teddy along, hes the perfect companion doens't talk when I am trying to think and be at peace:) Great post and who knew Pinterest of all places would be such a source for so much exercise inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I feel all worn out just reading all those great ideas!!!!

    Thank you so much for collating them all in one place.

    And a very happy new year!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am a big fan of walking and am fortunate enough to live in an area conducive to walking. The only issue is time...dang! I walk faithfully every day during daylight savings time but with winter upon us I find I only make time on the weekends. So my muffin top sides are showing me that it's time to be disciplined and loose some lbs.
    Karen at Garden, Home and Party

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you're still sick Elizabeth but that's a cold for you. Feel better and I swear by Nyquil gel daycaps and they don't mess you up during the day.

    As for workout get yourself a dog, move into a forest on the side of the mountain and hike said dog an hour and a half to two hours every morning, you won't need to do anything else! Wanna dog...;)

    Feel better!
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning my sweet one! I am running late here; I work out with weights and I used to run but we walk now; but I find myself RUNNING all around the school like NOW!!!! LOVE TO YOU and please get well soon my dearest! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sweet one,

    GOOD EVENING!

    It is remarkable to hear of your symptoms. DO YOU KNOW THAT I AM STILL BLOWING MY NOSE? I AM STILL SNEEZING? I am not even SICK anymore, but the drip from my nose is annoying! So it sounds like what you have is what several of my friends both near and far have had! Ohhhhh...do like this little bunny here, and lay back, drink lots of fluids and let each day come quietly, one at a time!

    BLESSINGS MY SWEET FRIEND! OH...I so love my scarf; the color is fabulous and the warmth is a reminder of the kindness you share. Anita

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Elizabeth, I am so sorry you are sick!!! Getting better, though, I hope...with lots of nice chocolat chaud? I am sorry to have been absent for a while. MIL was staying with us for almost two weeks.
    Sending you healing thoughts, my friend!!!
    Lots of love,
    - Irina
    (Your post made me laugh...I love to walk, but I love dancing even more :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love walking and am trying really hard to walk as often as possible to get myself fit and healthy in 2012! Thanks for another dose of inspiration!

    Thanks also for popping by today-it was so nice to hear from you and your comment made my day!

    Best wishes always,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Core workout can be seamlessly integrated into programs such as during interset rest intervals as active recovery or as a pre-workout activation method so it doesn’t take time away from total allotment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...