Sunday, February 12, 2012

Happy Sunday! Valentine's Day ideas.

Hello and happy Sunday! I hope you are having a great weekend! I am, although the crazy blizzard like conditions derailed my plans for Friday night with friends. The snow has stopped and now we are just contending with 0 degree temperature's. I am fine with that because we are ensconced in the house reading and doing some organizing.  

Photo by me


Do you have plans for Valentine's Day? As I am in Milwaukee visiting family I am going on a date with my mom to a concert. We will be attending a violin and cello concert preformed by John Patek and Jared Snyder at the Wisconsin Women's Club. John Patek is a friend and the son of my former violin teacher and friend, and he is a spectacular performer. If you are lucky enough to hear him or his equally talented sister Rebecca Patek you will see what I mean. Rebecca currently preforms in Austin, TX.




 If you cannot see John preform here in the states he also plays with the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra in Luzern, Switzerland. Their newest CD is The Lord of the Rings Symphony conducted by Howard Shore.





I also have a few sweet ideas if you are looking for a scrumptious and easy dessert for your romantic dinner at home.






Angel food cake with homemade hot fudge sauce and fresh raspberries.  And chocolate mocha cups with home made vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce garnished with raspberries.





Both of these desserts can be made from scratch or you can take a few short cuts, whatever the case do take the time to whip up the easy hot fudge sauce, it just makes the dessert more special and it is delicious.

 Bittersweet Fudge Sauce
adapted from the Silver Palete Cookbook


4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3 tablespoons butter, unsalted
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
6 tablespoons corn syrup
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract


Melt the chocolate and butter very slowly in a double boiler stir frequently until combined, do not let this burn.  Meanwhile, heat the water to boiling in the small, heavy saucepan. When the butter and chocolate have melted, stir the mixture into the boiling water. Add the sugar, corn syrup and salt and mix until smooth. Increase heat to medium and stir until mixture starts to boil; adjust heat so that sauce is just maintained at the boiling point, stirring occasionally. Allow sauce to boil for nine minutes.
Remove from heat and cool for 15 minutes. Stir in the vanilla and serve warm over ice cream, angle food cake or any other dessert you have prepared.

I hope you have a fabulous day! Let me know what great ideas you have for Valentine's Day! What do you do to celebrate, do you go out, stay in and make something special?

Looking forward to Downton Abbey, I do so hope that Mr. Bates has not killed the former Mrs. Bates!

2 comments:

  1. OH ELIZABETH!!!!!!!!!!!! WAIT....there is too much goodness here, where do I start...

    THAT FUZZY RASPBERRY IS MINE! Ask Irina, I love raspberries. She was here once and brought me a two baskets of raspberries and I devoured both of them before her beautiful brown eyes. Then of course, with chocolate? I told you that the exquisite cocoa you sent is LONG GONE, consumed with raspberries!

    OK, now...you are going to a VIOLIN AND CELLO CONCERT??????? NO!! I want to go too. But I shall play my harp today while Ruben is out for a bit and get my kick with my harp strings. How fun my dear! And right next door here in Minn. we had a CHILLER DAY YESTERDAY! A sore throat is still bothering me, but I actually feel good. HAVE A BLAST MY DEAR!

    LOVE! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth those desserts look wonderful! The husband will be out of town on Valentine's so we went out last night for a nice dinner. Enjoy your evening of music with your Mom!

    XX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...