Monday, February 13, 2012

More Valentine's Day Ideas and Downton Abbey Updates

Love letters, chocolate, and flowers, just a few of the little things you could give or get from your Valentine. I will be giving all of the above to my dear husband as well as other Valentine's in my life.



I received this beautiful book a few years ago from my husband, it is called Love Letters: An Anthology of Passion by Michelle Lovric.



It is a beautifully written book of  poems, beautiful art, and copied love  letters that were tracked down by the author in libraries and museums all over the world. Each one in the writers own hand, with the harried writing, the crossed out thoughts, each  placed in envelopes for the reader to take out and peruse. I love that part of the book the most, it is like opening a piece of history. There are letters from Juliette Drouet to Victor Hugo, Robert Browning to Elizabeth Barrett, Mary Wollstoncroft to William Godwin and many more.








Chocolates are another favorite gift for Valentine's Day. Do you have a favorite? Do you like getting chocolates?




Beautiful flowers are always an option, roses are classic loved by many. I personally love white tulips, those are a bit hard to find in February.









What about some heart shaped cookies?





Or my personal favorite, a cupcake or two with butter cream frosting!




Butter Cream Frosting

Ingredients
1 cup of salted butter
3 teaspoons of vanilla
4 cups of  powdered sugar
4-5 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream

Instructions
Place room temperature butter into your bowl and beat until very creamy. Add powdered sugar and beat on high. Add vanilla and a tablespoon at a time of the whipping cream until the frosting is the consistency of the frosting that you like. If you want it more spreadable than add more cream.





What did you think of Downton Abbey? Oh my goodness, Lavinia died? Now things for Mary and William are definitely taking an interesting turn. Frankly, Mary sometimes grates on my nerves because she is such a snob? Oh my goodness, the cliff hanger of Bates getting arrested. I do not want him to be guilty. I want him to be happy. I cannot believe that next week is the last episode for this season, how soon does the next one start? I love quality programing, thank goodness for Public Television.

Have a great day! And a great week!

Linking to:
Savy Southern Style
Five Minutes Just for me
At The Picket Fence
Stuff and Nonsense
2805
Common Ground

10 comments:

  1. My husband always gets me my favorite roses...orange. He usually does something romantic and I can never wait to find out what it is. One year instead of roses I received 12 Valentine cards in the mail one each day leading up to Valentine's. Each one had a single rose on the front with something personally written. I still have all those cards. Don't you love how this holiday brings out the best in men?

    XX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so easy - chocolate and flowers does it for me every time! Can't wait.
    Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love that book of love letters! What a wonderful collection to peruse for Valentine's Day.
    Elizabeth, regarding Downton Abbey, I didn't know in advance that it was a two hour episode. What a lot of stuff they packed into it! Can we talk about Lord Grantham, has he gone crazy? I couldn't believe his flirtation with the maid. I really think that man needs something to do besides read the paper all day. But hopefully Cora will be a bit sweeter and less selfish now that she recovered from Spanish Flu. And yes, that cliff hanger! I can't wait until next week to see what happens. That episode will be the Christmas special and I heard that it was very popular when it was aired in England. Have a wonderful Valentine's Day!
    xx Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeek! I better hurry and catch up..sounds so very juicy :)
    Thank for the update, Elizabeth dear! And what a fantastic book!
    I hope your Valentine's Day is lovely and wonderful...
    I love it all..chocolate, flowers (although my favorites are hard to come by this time of year as well...peonies!)
    Enjoy your beautiful family and fabulous husband..
    Sending love and hugs,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  5. GOOD MORNING MY PRECIOUS FRIEND!
    As usual, I am on the run this morning with a SORE THROAT...will this ever stop?

    LOVE LOVE LOVE the roses and images that remind me of a special celebration that has melded into the rest of the calendar year because of such a busy schedule. But last night I realized that TODAY marks 32 years since Ruben and I met!!!! WE MET AT CHURCH ON THIS DAY 32 years ago. Bless GOD!!!

    AND BLESS YOU MY DEAR FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I take you with me every day to school as I wrap that gorgeous blue scarf around my neck...bises, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flowers are beautiful. I need to find that book. It looks like something that would be right up my alley.
    Terrific post.
    ~Naila Moon

    http://yaknowstuff.blogspot.com/2012/02/wow-it-is-already-friday-time-sure-flew.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful book and such a romantic gift, Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cupcakes look delcious, even this early in the morning!! I watch Downton Abbey, also! Yes, I was very upset with Lord Grantham. I agree with you about Mary...such an attitude. I look forward to seeing it every Sunday evening. I know the ending will be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely ideas! Thank you for sharing your recipe at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that your Valentines day was full of roses and chocolates!

    Thanks so much for joining in with my weekly Pinning & Singing party. I hope you will be able to link up another Pinterest inspired post this weekend!

    Best wishes.
    Natasha In Oz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...