Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Hugo: Movie Review


I do not get to the movies very often, unless I am seeing a foreign film that I do not think they will have on Netflix. I prefer to watch movies at home, reading magazines or a book at the same time just in case I do not like the movie, there is a scary part or I have stuff I need to get done.

Hugo by Martin Scorsese is a movie that has been on my list to see. Then Sunday at Ciao Domenica left me a comment that she had seen it recently and loved it, so I moved it to the top of my "must see list." It is fabulous! I watched it last night and I loved every minute of the movie, the cast and of course Paris!


The movie is based on the book, The Invention of Hugo Cabret written by Brian Selznick (a distant relative of legendary producer David  O. Selznick of Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz fame). Both book and movie tell the story of a 12 year old orphan who lives and works in a Paris train station.




Images from the book
Hugo's mother dies and he is raised for a period by his father who is a clock maker and repair man, in his spare time he tinkers along with his son on an automaton.



After a terrible accident kills his father Hugo is taken in by his alcoholic uncle who is the clock winder and repair man at the Paris train station.


I won't tell you any more about the movie because I do not want to spoil it. Have you seen the movie? If you have I would love to know that you think? Did you read the book or did one of your children? Whatever the case the book looks delightful and the movie is entertaining, and heartwarming.


I hope you have a fabulous day! It is almost the weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I loved this movie also! The acting was fabulous as well as the cinematography. I was quite impressed with the movies that George Meilies made and looked them up. I actually posted some on my blog if you care to check them out :)

    www.rainingconfetti.blogspot.com

    Take care
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Hugo and it was in a most intriguing format. I do have the DVD and have not had time to watch it yet. I didn't make it to the theater to view it but wish that I had done so on a big screen.
    If you like new and interesting books, please see my brother Troy Howell's book 'The Dragon of Cripple Creek'. You can have a sneak peek of it on Amazon with the 'Look inside' where you can read several pages of the book. We're all hoping it will also be made into a movie at some point.
    Cheers!
    And thanks for this blog post!
    Teresa in California

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading your word list but was told I could not comment on that post :) Reading your list I realised that I left out a number of words from my own list. I guess I will have to start writing out my second list pretty soon. You have a very interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dearest, Ruben brought this delightful movie home the other day, but I have been waiting for the right night to watch it. With school always hanging over my head, I can't stay up past 8:30 so I want to devote the weekend to really watching EVERY MINUTE of this story! Ohhhhh how enchanting it seems and the book? I HAVE TWO COPIES OF IT, one in my classroom and one at home!

    NOW OFF TO SCHOOL; I was off yesterday working HARD on my Etsy orders and I am almost done with packing one of the large orders. WHAT FUN!

    OFF I GO....Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw it just last week and loved it, particularly the way it was multi layered and covered so many of the characters lives, not just the principal players. Sasha Baron Cohen was a great character, as was the Character played by Frances de la Tour and her paramour! Loved it.
    Di
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen it yet but thanksfor the heads up, I will now!

    XX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...