Thursday, April 19, 2012

Good Things I Wish You by A. Manette Ansay

I recently sat to begin the book, Good Things I Wish You by A. Manette Ansay, several hours later and many cups of tea I was finished.




The book tells two stories, one modern, of a recently divorced woman withing a book about the friendship and some speculate romance between Clara Schumann, Robert Schumann and Johannes Brahms. The other historical, of the life of Clara, Robert and Johannes. The book moves back and forth in time between the two stories and includes photographs, and letters of Johannes Brahms and Clara Schumann.



I loved the book but if I was honest, the modern romance was not my favorite part of the book, I actually found it a little annoying. Not enough though to over shadow the life of Clara the celebrated pianist who married composer, Robert Schumann and their special friendship with composer and pianist Brahms. I loved reading the excerpts from the letters, and seeing and learning more about everyday life of three celebrated classical musicians.


If you are a fan of classical music, Brahms, and Schumann I think you would enjoy this book. I do not know if it shed any more light on the relationship between Clara and Johannes and whether or not they were just good friends or perhaps had a relationship that was something more. I personally was never interested in that, I simply love the music and the musicians. Good Things I Wish You is well written and very well researched, two of my favorite things in a novel.

So, on this Thursday morning, I say to you...




and have a fabulous day!

3 comments:

  1. I love classical music and had not heard of this book. Thank you for the referral. BTW, what pattern is your tea cup and saucer? I love brown and white transferware.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. And GREAT things I wish you, beautiful friend!
    I was so happy to see your message, and I AM planning on making the cupcakes for my sister's birthday in May! I will let you know...
    Thank you for this book review. I put it on my list when you first mentioned it, and even researched the writer. It sounds like the historical half made it a worthwhile read?

    I hope you are planning a fun and relaxing weekend, dear Elizabeth...
    xoxo,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  3. And always, good things
    I wish for you, too, sweet
    friend! I always enjoy your
    book reviews and this one
    sounds very intriguing......
    Especially with a great cup
    of tea in hand :)

    Happy Friday,
    xo Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...