Monday, April 16, 2012

Welcome Monday! Living in The Present by Spencer Johnson



Hello! Did you have a nice weekend? Are you ready to start the week?



 I had a friend in town last week and it was fabulous! I did not do anything at all except spend time with her.That is rare for me because usually I try to squeeze a little work into my day, even if someone is visiting. I know it is weird but that is how I am. This time though I decided that I would just be PRESENT and it was wonderful.



That reminds me, do you know the book, by Spencer Johnson, M.D called The Present? It is an excellent book that I read a few years ago and it came to mind as I wrote that sentence.

"The Present is an engaging story of a young man's journey to adulthood, and his tireless search for The Present, a mysterious and elusive gift he first hears about from a wise old man. This Present, according to the old man, is the most valuable gift a person can receive. Why? Because it is the one thing that doesn’t change in changing times.

As the young boy becomes a man, he grows disillusioned with his work and his life. So he returns to ask the old man to help him find The Present. The old man responds, “Only you have the power to find The Present for yourself.” Heeding the old man’s advice, the young man embarks on a worldwide search for this magical gift that remains unchanging in a changing world, and holds the secret to personal happiness and lifelong success.

It is only after the young man has searched high and low and all but given up his relentless pursuit that he discovers The Present and all of the promises it offers.

Like the young man, you may find that it is the best gift you can ever give to yourself and to those you care about"

 ( This summary is from the Spence Johnson Web page, I think he sums it up better than I can)


My friend Marcia and I had a wonderful time. We walked on the beach, walked in my neighborhood, went shopping to some antique stores ( I will show you later what I found), we ate delicious meals and of course treats.


 Most importantly we talked and enjoyed one anther's company. We were up until 1:30 several nights because we always have so much to talk about, from our travel adventures, to her art and classes in New York and Florence, as well as plein air in Wisconsin, not to mention our families, friends, and anything else that comes to mind.

It is rare to find a friend late in your life that you connect to like that, although we only see one another now about 5 times a year we just pick up right where we left off. I am very blessed to have have her in my life.

Yesterday I worked and experimented with some new recipes. I just wish that I had someone here to share them with, a girl can only handle so much sugar and pasta.

I hope that you have a fabulous week! If you have not read The Present, it is excellent and a bit of a reminder on how to life, sometimes we all need one of those.

 I hope that you are safe from all of the horrible weather, I have a lot of family in the path of those storms and I have been praying for their safety as well as for the safety of so many others.


4 comments:

  1. What a perfect weekend! Nothing like spending quality time with an old friend...sounds wonderful. Wish I lived closer, I would make one heck of a great tastetester, you know I love my pasta and sweets:)
    I remember The Present, actually gave it a few times as part of a gift. Good book to bring back! Have a great day....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel Elizabeth being blessed with a friend and wanting to squeeze in as much time together. That book sounds like most people's lives, I'll have to get the book to see if he found his present, sounds interesting. Enjoy your day whatever it may bring.

    XX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if the author was inspired by Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee. On his first day of school the teacher asked him to sit down there for the present. He waited all day but didn't get a present. I love that book.

    Have a great week.
    Di

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dianne's comment made me giggle...similar story in a Junie B. Jones children's book... ;)
    Well, dear friend, my question has been answered in that you had a splendid time! And you were in the "now"...that always enriches our experiences, you are so right.
    A blessing indeed.
    Thank you so much for this book recommendations, sounds wonderful.
    So thankful for your friendship.. :)
    xoxo,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...