Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Apple, Almond, Blue Cheese Salad and of Course Some Chocolate

As I mentioned yesterday a lazy weekend was had by all at my house, but I did manage to get off the couch long enough to make a few things.

In addition to the berries I showed you yesterday I made some of this apple salad.



 Granny Smith apples are my favorite, although I like other kinds, I primarily stick to these because I think they are the most versatile and frankly I like tart apples. In the 1900's by the way there used to be 8,000 named varieties of apples in the United States, now there are roughly 700. Where did they all go? (For more information go here to Wagon Wheel Orchard.)


Image Pine Cones

Sorry, back to the salad. This is the easiest "salad" to make, it is tasty and you can make it in many variations. For this recipe I used Granny Smith Apples, toasted almonds, blue cheese and a vinaigrette dressing.





Apple Salad

3 apples peeled or unpeeled and julienned
1/3 cup toasted almonds chopped
1/4 cup Maytag Blue Cheese or any variety blue cheese crumbled
1/3 cup vinaigrette dressing

Mix all of the above in a bowl and toss, serve and enjoy

Variations: Smoked almonds, pecans, walnuts, blue cheese, feta, Gorgonzola, and apple, or pears, balsamic vinegar and oil, or Italian dressing. Use whatever you have.



I also made some Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispie Treats with more of the leftover Easter candy that I had, I could have eaten the whole pan! If you want the recipe it will be on Once Upon a Chocolate Life!




Oh, one more thing, have you heard of this blogger "movement" Things I'm Afraid to Tell You? and are you participating?

I will be writing my own "things I am afraid to tell you" post this week. Will you?


By the way, this all started when Jess from Make Under My Life wrote this post, and then EZ of Creature Comforts started the blogging campaign.  I like the idea of a little transparency.  I always love reading blogs but I do sometimes come away from the blogs wondering if their life is as wonderful and perfect as it always seems, and ask myself what am I doing wrong that mine isnt'?

Anyway, on to a fabulous Tuesday morning! Have a beautiful day!

10 comments:

  1. Oooo my friend, this salad looks like something I would get addicted to! I already can't stop eating my fresh spinach, chopped apple, walnut and chicken salad! I TOO LOVE GRANNY SMITH APPLES! Not too many of us around that prefer the tartness.

    Hmmmm.....I have not heard of this blogging movement!I will have to check it out. I have to tell you that my life if pretty much what you see and I am glad for that. I will however, be interested to see what people share on this!!! How are you? I wish you a splendid day! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi hunny!
    Sorry, I have been absent and missed your last few posts, they were wonderful. This salad looks scrummy! As for the things I'm afraid to tell you, I agree, no world is that perfect so I'm going to join in this one. I think I will post a pic of my storage unit, that will burst a few bubbles!
    Have a good day!
    Love
    Di
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another recipe to save for this weekend since my husband loves granny smith too. Tis will be perfect this weekend since we're supposed to warm up. We have two local farmers trying to bring back some of the lost and forgotten apple types and they're amazing.

    XX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks amazing, and granny smith are also my fav! i am def going to be joining bloggers in this campaign because it is so honorable.

    smiles.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a tart apple girl,
    too : ) Sad that we have
    gone from so many to a
    {relatively} small amount.
    I think so much has to
    do with transport and how
    long produce will keep.

    I have not heard of this
    blogging campaign. It
    sounds awesome and I
    will look forward to reading
    yours. Since I pretty much
    wear my heart/blog on my
    sleeve, I'm not sure I would
    have any big reveals!

    Happy Tuesday, sweet friend!

    xo Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just looking at that salad is making my mouth water. YUM!!
    Thank you for stopping by, Elizabeth. Glad you liked the bird children too. So cute.
    I have not heard of this blogging campaign, but after two years of blogging in that arena, I'm good with a little creative imagination and daydreaming, still genuine to the core, but focusing on all the beauty which is very much a part of my real life. Maybe I'll skip by a few bloggy friends' pages and take a look though. Thank you for mentioning, love.
    Much love,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any post that ends in Chocolate should get a prize!!!!! All is yummy here at Pinecones And Acorns!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a sucker for a unique salad! I'll be sure to try it this weekend; I love the idea of cheese and apples together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. The salad looks delicious! I've not tried apples with blue cheese before, but I love both, so... ;)

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday. Hope you'll join the fun each week.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...