Friday, May 4, 2012

Horses, Hats, Hors d' Oeuvres...Getting Ready for the Kentucky Derby

Happy Friday! Happy Weekend!! I thought we could use a little "eye candy" to start the weekend and get ready for the Kentucky Derby on Sunday.


A Few Hats

Image from Gardens and Guns HERE
Image from Gardens and Guns Magazine HERE


And of course a day at the Derby or watching it with friends would not be complete without some delicious and tasty Southern treats, like mint juleps, country ham and biscuits, Derby pie, bourbon balls, and my favorite triple chocolate cheesecake.



Southern Living Mint Julip

Southern Living Biscuits and Ham

Southern Living Pecan Pie


Southern Living Burbon Balls







 OK, the triple chocolate cheesecake isn't typical Derby fare it is something I made this week. I will have the recipe on my other blog Once Upon a Chocolate Life today.





I know that there is not enough time to order these fabulous napkin holders for the Kentucky Derby but they are new at The Enchanted Home Store and you could get them in time for Churchill Downs or the Belmont.

 I hope that you enjoy your day and your weekend! Will you be watching the Derby? Or will you be going to it? If so, enjoy it.

To see what one of our fellow blogger, Marsha at Splendarosa will be wearing while attending the 2012 Derby follow the link. Her outfit is gorgeous.



The food images are from Southern Living. The chocolate cheesecake is from me, and the napkin rings are from the Enchanted Home. 

10 comments:

  1. Good morning dearest Elizabeth!

    I LOVE HORSES. But as much as I adore them, I had never paid close attention to this event, and now I am seeing it talked about everywhere! THE HATS, oh my, this is a fancy event! Did you enjoy making this outrageously rich cheesecake? It looks outstanding!

    I wish you a happy weekend my friend! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. The horses are gorgeous, the hats amazing and I for one can't wait to watch the Derby but it'll be from home. I need an oversized hat!

    Happy Friday!
    XX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the horses -- LOVE the hats! Love the food.. Sipmly - LOVE the whole post!!!

    Bon weekend and greetings from the Perigord,
    k

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be watching the Derby at home..... hopefully with mint julep in hand and a big slice of derby pie!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I had
    forgotten that the
    Derby was this weekend!
    So, thank you for
    the reminder....I will
    make an effort to watch
    it, possibly with a
    ham biscuit and a mint
    julep!

    Fun to dream about
    going and what hat I
    would choose. I have
    always loved horses, too!

    Happy Weekend, E!

    xo Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, thank you so much for the shout out to me and to Tina. What a gracious ladybug you are. I love those new pieces Tina has, I could use them all the time. xx's

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Elizabeth! Those images are fabulous, the hats, the food, and the horses. They make me want to have a mint julep and a country ham biscuit right now! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, what magnificent creatures...so beautiful and intelligent.
    Dear Elizabeth, I hope you enjoy the derby with some yummies this weekend! Your cheesecake is enough cause for celebration, I think.. ;)
    We are going out for my sister's birthday this Sunday, and I was supposed to make those luscious chocolate cupcakes, but my oven is not working properly. I'm hoping that by Mother's Day we can taste those beauties!
    Have a lovely weekend, sweet friend,
    Bisous,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an exciting event, the Derby is. I am enjoying your blog and as your new follower I welcome you and your comments.

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The horses are magnificent, the hats fabulous, and the drinks, yum!

    I have featured an Interview on my site with Tina from The Enchanted Home...

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...