Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pinehurst Arboretum Visit



Rain, rain go away, come again another day.... today is a grey, rainy day so I thought I would brighten it with a few photos from my weekend.



I spent the weekend in North Carolina and while there I visited the Pinehurst Arboretum.




This is a beautiful 35 acre park that was designed in the style of Frederick Law Olmsted, the founder of landscape architecture in America.



Olmsted was also the designer of the Village of Pinehurst, Central Park in NY, Lake Shore Park in Milwaukee, Niagara Falls and many other beautiful parks around the country.



This is a beautiful park, there are trails through the woods, beautiful wooden bridges over little streams, a magnolia park and so much more.


In addition to the beautiful park, there is a farmers market, a playground for kids and so much more. Not to mention it is close to the village of Pinehurst, where there are beautiful shops, spa and the Carolina Inn.






In this part of the gardens, there are many butterflies, and bees!



There is beauty even after the petals shrivel and turn brown.



We spent many hours here, walking the trails, playing at the playground and of course picking up some pine cones and acorns.




I hope you have a great week! And I hope you enjoy the flowers, even of they are only on a screen.


Frederick Olmsted Image HERE

If you are interest in more information on Frederick Law Olmsted visit the links above, his life is fascinating.

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous photos you took, Elizabeth! Your shot of the butterflies is beautiful. I love arboretums, botanical gardens and landscaped parks, and try to visit as many as possible. Pinehurst will be on the top of my list for NC. Thank you for the tour.
    Cheers,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  2. E, you are such a
    jet setter ~ love that!!

    I am a great fan of
    FL Olmsted and this
    garden is a beautiful
    reflection of his vision.

    Great photos; I could
    hear those bees a buzzing!

    xo Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. What absolutely gorgeous photographs! A beautiful arboretum and I"m sure Pinehurst was a wonderful place to visit. Wish some of your rain would come my way.
    Beautiful post, thanks for the tour.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures are amazing, that butterfly looks like he was going to fly right off the computer screen! I hear you on the humidity and rain...UGH! I cannot stand it (and my hair isnt' too happy either)!
    Looks like a wonderful outing Elizabeth, haven't been aroudn as much lately (not by chocie believe me) have lots of catching up to do!! Love my visits so much to blogland, its when I am my most relaxed:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colors in nature just amaze me in my lens! They are so vibrant and beautiful! Great shots! Thank you for your kind words!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear friend, looks like a gorgeous outing! I love visiting our arboretum...nothing like the splendid beauty of nature to put everything into perspective!
    Your pictures are magnificent....
    I hope sunshine comes back soon to you..it has been chilly and gray for us too!
    Hugs to you!
    xoxo,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slightly jealous so many stunning flowers are out already down south but ours are close to opening. Looks like you had a wonderful long weekend Elizabeth and I hope your week is going just as well.

      XX
      Debra~

      Delete
  7. Thank you for visiting my blog. I too have been looking around me at the wonders of nature.

    These are gorgeous pictures, I love the butterflies best. I enjoy parks, but I love woods and fields too, although they are not nearly as colourful as manmade spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We seem to share love for flowers. Simply beautiful.

    Fer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...