Monday, July 30, 2012

Banana Bars with Browned Butter Glaze



Happy Monday! Did you enjoy your weekend? Did you watch the opening ceremony? I did and loved every minute. Then, in between my projects around the house, and getting ready for some summer guests I watched the swimming, the volleyball, the rowing, and many other games. 



I also baked. I know that is a surprise.

 I have been out on Pinterest, and have seen this banana bar recipe pinned many times; as I always have a few bananas laying around waiting for a recipe I thought I would try them. Boy am I happy I did! They were FABULOUS! 




Banana Bars or Monkey Bars with Browned Butter Glaze
adapted from The Welcome Mat

Ingredients:

1-1/2 c. sugar
1 c. sour cream
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 eggs
1-3/4 (3 or 4) ripe bananas, mashed
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Brown Butter Frosting:
1/2 c. butter
4 c. powdered sugar
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tbsp. milk

Directions:

 Heat oven to 375F.  Grease and flour 15x10-inch jelly roll pan.  For the bars, in a large bowl, beat together sugar, sour creambutter, and eggs until creamy.  Blend in bananas and vanilla extract.  Add flour, baking soda, salt, and blend for 1 minute.  Stir in walnuts(optional). Spread batter evenly into pan.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.



Frosting:

Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until boiling.  Let the butter turn a delicate brown and remove from heat immediately. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Mix until smooth. Immediately spread over the cake while warm, it spreads much easier. 





As I said, these bars are delicious, they are moist and a little dense like banana bread. But the browned butter glaze puts these bars over the top. The glaze is sweet and a little salty from the browned butter and the little bits of browned butter are flecked in the glaze so it looks pretty too.


Notes: I did not add the walnuts because I do not like them. Also, the next time I am going to make more glaze, I would have liked more but that is just me (the recipes is more than enough). When making the glaze be careful with the butter, if you do not watch it, it will burn. And for my cake and oven setting 20 minutes was the correct amount of time.



I hope that you all have a great week! I am going to try but I will not lie, I have been beaten by the heat! I cannot stand it this hot for this long, sorry to be a whiner but I needed to vent. 



Come back and tell me if you try these bars please, I love when people make the same things I do and then put a twist on the recipes. By the way, this banana cake recipe which I made awhile ago and pined to my Pinterest page is apparently quite popular because it has received 26,589 hits on my blog! Yes, I did write 26,589! Isn't that crazy? I guess it is like they say, "the power of a pin."


Linking to!

Stone Gable On the Menu Monday
Between Naps on the Porch
Home Stories A to Z
Boogieboard Cottage
Savvy Southern Style Wow Us Wednesdays
Ivy and Elephants
The Brambleberry Cottage
Rattlebridge Farm
2805 Popurri Friday
Debbiedoos


French Country Living






18 comments:

  1. GOOD MORNING DEAREST!

    Oh yes, we are watching as much of the games as we can get; our reception is not good here, but the gymnastics are our favorites. I best not show Ruben these bars or else I will be baking today, and it is too hot for that!!!!

    How are you? Busy still? ME TOO. I have another house guest coming NEXT WEDNESDAY FOR A WEEK!!!!!!!

    Have a lovely day, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been watching the Olympics, and really enjoying them. Your banana cake looks amazing and I will have to try it. Amazing about pinterst! I have not joined but want to after hearing so much enthusiasm about it. Have a great week! Those photos have made me very hungry. I hope you can stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my! These looks sooo good! I think this is a recipe we will be trying soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I have a bowl of ice cream in front of me now. I really need this to go with! Yummy. Thanks so much for sharing with the copy cat party. Enjoy!!~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say those Monkey bars do look very delish!
    If only you could email me one!! lol

    I don't bake much either, but sometimes it is a good thing. I like to make gluten free peanut butter cookies
    and they are really good and healthy too.

    Your pics are great, but now I have a need to go to the kitchen and look for something sweet to eat! lol

    Have a great week,
    Blessings, nellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh these look so good. Need to give these a try. Thanks for joining TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so good. I am going to make them today. I have a link party, and I would love it if you would link this post. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. You can find it at

    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/natural-translucent-face-powder-update.html

    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I enjoyed your post. Lovely use of bananas I found it via Stone Gable's On the Menu Monday. I have linked in some rhubarb and banana jam I made to use up some bananas that were turning brown. Have a nice week.

    PS It would be neat if you linked in to Food on Friday: Bananas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made these bars and LOVED THEM! I shared them with everyone I know! Now I am blogging about them and sharing the recipe, and giving you credit! They are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I love delicious copycats! Bookmarked this page!!!

    Linking from Debbiedoo's,
    xo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad I visited from The Polohouse. These bars sound wonderful and I kept ignoring them on Pinterest. I may have to give them a try now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look amazing!!
    So excited to get this recipe, Elizabeth.
    THAT is a LOT of hits for a recipe!!!
    Woa!

    I like banana bread but I will love it with
    ICING on top. It's all about the icing for me.
    :)

    Thanks for sharing this with Favorites on the First.
    I soOOOoo appreciate it!

    xoxox
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, do these ever sound delicious! Thanks so much for sharing!

    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had me at Banana!How awesome! So glad you joined in on the copy cat challenge. Who doesn't like to copy desserts:)Enjoy~

    ReplyDelete
  15. How yummy do these look? I actually have some bannanas that are ripe this morning.... I might just give your recipe a try. :)

    Thanks for sharing. Your photos make your recipe look even more delish. :) I'm following now. Hope you'll come by and say hi.
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for sharing this great recipe last week with Wednesday's Adorned From Above. The link party is open now for this week.
    Just follow this link.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/apple-cinnamon-roll-pull-aparts-and.html
    Debi Bolocofsky
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE these bars. I just made some myself, and they're sooo addicting!

    http://thekitchenkook.blogspot.com/2013/01/moist-banana-bars-with-brown-butter.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...