Thursday, July 19, 2012

Blueberry Coffee Cake with Crumble Topping

I have only been home a few days and the weather has been blistering! Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining because at least we have had rain this summer.


Despite the weather I cannot stay away from the oven, and have been baking up a storm ( no pun intended). Some people knit, play computer games, do yoga; I love to bake, it is very therapeutic for me.



 I love a good coffee cake( or anything with sugar in it) and came across this recipe on Jules Food Blog for Aunt Erna's Blueberry Buckle and decided to try it out. I am calling this a coffee cake because I do not think many people are familiar with the term buckle. In any case it is delicious whatever you want to call it.





Blueberry Coffee Cake
adapted from Jules Food Blog

1/4 cup of butter softened
1/2 cup of sugar
1 egg
11/2 cups sifted flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
2 cups blueberries Fresh or frozen (frozen should be thawed and drained)




Crumb mixture:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup of flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1/4 cup of butter

For cake: Heat oven to 375. Prepare an 8x8 baking pan with spray or grease and flour. Set aside. Cream together the butter and sugar. Add egg. In separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add flour mixture to sugar/egg mixture, alternating with the milk. Gently fold in berries. Sprinkle with crumble topping.
Bake for 40-45 minutes.

For crumble: In a small bowl mix together flour, sugar cinnamon, nutmeg. Cut in butter so that mixture resembles small crumbs. Use your fingers, a pastry blender or two knives.



This cake is scrumptious! I loved it! It is moist, the berries are soft and a little tart, and the crumb topping is crunchy with a hint of spice.  As you can see from my photos the cake is a little sparse on the berries, I only used a cup and a half. I like it that way, but if you are a huge blueberry fan you could add more.




I hope you try this cake and any other recipe I have made. I love when people try things and let me know and if you have a favorite coffee cake recipe leave a comment with a link, we would love to check it out.

Enjoy your day! I hope that you have power, I have heard there are many without on the East Coast from the massive storms that blew threw last night.


3 comments:

  1. Gosh you are such a superb baker Elizabeth, your cooking always looks so inspiring. I tend not to bake to many cakes here in France, why would I when the patisserie's are full of gorgeous things? But I do like to bake for the neighbours and I think this delicious cake will be getting an outing. Thank you so much for sharing.
    I've just had a quick look through your last few days and particulary love your cloud photographs, something I'm going to copy on my next flight.
    Jude x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am finally concluded that in order for me to go on a diet and STICK with it, I would have to take a hiatus from blogland and seeing that that is impossible...looks like a diet is not in my cards. LOL......another must keep recipe, this looks heavenly, I can almost taste it from here, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our blueberries are ripening up so this is perfect for me and will try it out. I love cooking too it's very relaxing.

    Our weather has been blistering hot as well but as of today it's back down to where it belongs and beautiful out. Now if only we would get rain!

    XX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...