Tuesday, August 21, 2012

P.O.V.: Point of View on PBS

I don't know about you but my free time is limited, what with work, family, blog, Pinterest, reading ,etc I find myself with very little time for anything else. As my husband is not an avid TV viewer so we really do not spend out time watching it, however I always make an exception for PBS.

ALL IMAGES PBS.ORG

I love Public Television, after all who doesn't like the British imports like Downton Abbey, or Masterpiece Theater or the acclaimed documentaries by Ken Burns( War is currently being shown)  or even  P.O.V .



P.O.V. (point of view) is a documentary film series on PBS. P.O.V has been running for over 20 years on PBS and showcases between 14-16 independent documentaries a year. Now, I will be honest some of them are depressing, after all they show real life, sometimes at its most raw and sometimes at its happiest. I have yet to see a documentary this year that did not leave me thinking and talking about it days or even weeks later. Frankly, it is "must see TV."

I have already mentioned The Light in Her Eyes, about the young girls in Syria learning the the Koran and in the process learning the importance of education and their rights as a woman and as a human being.

Another interesting film, The Steam of Life is a study of Finnish men as they come together in saunas all over the country to not only sweat but to talk about life. This hauntingly, interesting film shows men as you have never seen them; wracked with tears as they recount the death of their child, smiling and crying happy tears as one tells of the birth of his first child and yet another frustrated and sad about the beatings he took for many years from his stepfather. I cannot get enough of these films and look forward to them each week.

Aside from P.O.V, has anyone been watching The War by Ken Burns? It is eye opening to see the war, WWII,  from the point of view of four families in four different states around the country. To listen to the first hand accounts of the men that served, or the sisters and girlfriends left behind is fascinating.

I could go on and on but I will stop for now. Are you a PBS fan? Have you watched P.O.V? I would love to hear about your favorite shows!

Have a fabulous day! 

Disclaimer: I am not being paid, or compensated in any way for this post. I am simply a fan of quality TV and in particular PBS. I personally long for the days of TV before "reality" TV. All IMAGE FROM PBS

9 comments:

  1. Hello Elizabeth:
    We are afraid to say that we have not had a television for more than thirty years so it is not, as you will understand, possible to comment on any of these programmes although we do readily accept that there are many things worth seeing.

    That said we hugely enjoy film and are very fortunate here in Budapest to have numerous small Arts cinemas showing world cinema as opposed to block busters which hold no interest for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD MORNING DEAR FRIEND!

    WOW....talk about not having any free time.....but PBS is a winner for us. We never watch regular TV but YOU are the one that turned me on to DOWNTON ABBY and we anxiously await for the third season to come out on DVD so we can savor it over and over as we have for the first two seasons!!!

    How are you today my dear? I AM BUSY but in a great way. MY LOVE TO YOU! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I are great PBS fans. We almost always have shows set to record that we can watch on weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are the biggest fans of PBS, too! I love Downton Abbey.....can't wait for the next season!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth, We seldom turn on our television with the exception for PBS. You reviewed beautifully so many of the wonderful shows on Public Television. My time is limited I record everything to watch while exercising. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't watch much TV it puts me to sleep in under five minutes and the husband three. If we do turn it on we usually watch something like National Geographic. Anything is better then a reality show, hate those!

    XX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth, I love PBS and watch so many of their shows. Masterpiece Mystery is another one you might add to your list. It recently had the fabulous new Sherlock Holmes series. I have been watching Masterpiece Theatre for many, many years. You have inspired me to go on their website to see what is coming up this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Downton Abbey too. Cheers

    PS I know you have probably been busy. Just a wee reminder that it would be great if you followed Carole's Chatter back. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much for following Carole's Chatter. And so quickly too! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...