Monday, August 27, 2012

Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake


Happy Monday! I hope you had a fabulous weekend. I did but I must admit that I am very excited that this coming weekend is a holiday, a nice long three day weekend. For now, it's off to work.


As I like to do on most weekends I did a little baking and experimented with a few recipes on my Pinterest "Recipes to Try" board. I also did a little work, a few things around the house and some reading. 



Did you know that the fruit this summer is supposed to be the best it has been in years? Apparently, fruit loves hot weather. I personally have eaten more peaches and cherries this summer than I have in about five years just for that reason. 





As I have been a little overzealous lately buying peaches and cherries I found myself with a few peaches that were going to be too ripe for me to eat on the same day. That is unless I wanted to have them for every meal plus a few snacks. So I decided to make this recipe for Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake. 

Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake

Adapted from Allrecipes.com

Batter:
2 eggs
1 C milk
1/2 C oil
1 tsp. Nielsen-Massey vanilla
1/2 C sour cream
3 C flour
1 C sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Topping:
5 or 6 large peaches, diced.
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
11/4 C brown sugar
1Tbsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. nutmeg
4 Tbsp. flour

Vanilla Icing:
1 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla or vanilla bean paste
3/4 C powdered sugar
2-3 tsp. heavy cream




Directions:

Prepare 9 inch spring form pan with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350. Beat eggs on medium for 1 minute. Add oil, vanilla, milk and sour cream then beat for another two minutes. In separate bowl, mix flour baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add this dry mixture to the wet and mix for a few minutes until well incorporated. Do not over mix. Pour the batter into the spring form pan.

Peach filling: In separate bowl, mix the peaches, melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and the flour. Evenly distribute the mixture over the batter.

Icing: Mix vanilla, powdered sugar and vanilla in a bowl, it will be lumpy so don't worry. Slowly add heavy cream a little at a time until the frosting is the consistency you like.

Bake for 1 hour and 5- 10 minutes. I recommend checking this cake after about 55-60 minutes, the add additional time if not done. When a toothpick or skewer poked into the center comes out clean the cake is finished.  Let cake cook and then drizzle with icing. 




This cake is delicious! I loved it! I think that you will to, it is sweet, spicy, moist and taste like a combination of Summer and Fall.

CHANGES:  I did change a few things in the recipe, the main change for me was to add MORE of the spices and more of the peach layer. Consequently, I did have to bake my cake for about 15 minutes longer than called for. I also used a dark pan, and as you can see the bottom is a little dark.



I hope that you try this recipe, and as I always ask if you do please come back and let me know. I would love to hear how yours turned out. Please remember that I am not a professional, I am only writing about my experiences with these recipes. If your version of mine or any other recipe out there does not turn out there are MANY reasons why, such as high altitude, wrong size pan, use of different ingredients, your oven temperature is off or many other things. 
Have a great week! Enjoy the last week of Summer! For those of you who are in the path of the Hurricane, "batten down the hatches," make sure to watch the weather, get supplies and please do not risk your life for your personal property. Your are more valuable than it.

40 comments:

  1. You are cruel Elizabeth.....how great this would go with my cup of coffee!!!!!! Looks AMAZINGLY GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks so delicious! The glaze looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is NOTHING like peaches and vanilla....two of my favorite seasonal tastes! DEAR HEART, my husband goes back to work today and I am here, having quiet and wondering what will be next for me.....BIG HUGS TO YOU MY DEAR! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lovely photos are giving me hunger pains while I am having my coffee. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, Yum! Do you think you can push a slice through my monitor? It looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That peach coffee cake looks amazing! I will try this one, as I have lots of great peaches. Have a wonderful week and enjoy the upcoming three day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right! The fruit has been really, really good. Especially the cherries. Have a great week!
    xoxo,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband will love you for posting this. I will try baking it over the weekend. Bookmarked it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mouth is watering. I love peaches and this looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG that looks amazing!!! Pinning now for future use!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks amazing! Thank you for sharing this yummy goodness at Potpourri Friday! Remember to enter the Home Depot Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks beautiful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh goodness...this looks delicious!! It is definitely going on my must-try list!
    -april

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I wish I had a slice of this right now. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. http://pineconesandacorn.blogspot.com/2012/08/vanilla-peach-coffee-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am starving and this looks SOOOOOOOOO good. Thanks for the recipe! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious!! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness!! That looks absolutely fabulous!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks absolutely wonderful!! Can't wait to try it!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Elizabeth, What a delicious looking cake, I am certainly going to give this a try this weekend. I will let you know how I get on. I showed the picture to my husband and he asked if I could make it NOW! but I don't have the sour cream so it will have to be the weekend. Thank you for sharing such a lovely cake. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  21. Does the time mean 110 minutes for baking? There is a gap between the 1 and 10..or 1 hr and 10 min?
    Thanks
    sweetdesigns001@gmail.com
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Does the time mean 110 minutes for baking? There is a gap between the 1 and 10..or 1 hr and 10 min?
    Thanks
    sweetdesigns001@gmail.com
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello, just a follow up. The original recipe calls for baking the cake for 50 minutes...as I added a lot more of the peach I had to bake my cake for 1 hr and 10 minutes. I woul recommend checking if after an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks sooooo good! Peaches are my favorite thing to eat and bake with. They go so well with spices and in cake. That glaze on the top takes the whole thing right over the edge :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You may already know this, but another site is using your picture and recipe: http://easy-cookbook-recipes.com/vanilla-peach-coffee-cake/. This happened to me before & someone was nice enough to let me know, so I figured I'd pay it forward. Looks yummy by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've just printed this off, if looks could kill this would do just that so yummy, I can't wait to bake this

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just checked that other website that is using your recipe and picture. They at least have you credited at the bottom of the page as the source as of March 2013. Your post is much more fun to read though. This looks delicious. I can't wait to make it and share with a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Found this and am dying to make it as I have some peaches in my freezer that need to be cooked. Do I have to use a springform pan? Would a regular pan work?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I got one in the oven now. I used fresh strawberries instead of peaches.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have one in the oven right now. I used strawberries instead of peaches. I come back and let you know how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Made this for my pastor and his family, and he raved about it. Since I've made 3 moretine for other members of our congregation. This is a fabulous cake. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks great! At first glance, I thought you did an upside down cake. I don't have a springform pan either, so I might try this recipe on the flip side! Wish me luck, and thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have a bunch of peaches in the freezer I need to use up. I have no idea how to tell how much would be the equivalent of 5-6 large peaches (they were pretty tiny peaches to begin with.) Do you happen to have an idea of how many cups or ounces it would be?
    Also, to anybody who tried this WITHOUT a springform pan, did it work for you? I don't want to go buy a pan, but I really want to try this recipe! It looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for the great recipe.
    For those asking - I used a normal baking pan & not a spring form pan. It turned out just fine! The baking time was about the same, as well.
    I wish I would have had peaches that were a little sweeter, but that's all I could find.
    I will definitely try out another fruit next time.

    ReplyDelete
  35. made this for dessert tonight.... totally AWESOME! I also used a regular pan as my spring load is only 8" and after I poured the cake mix in it looked alittle small.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This looked great and tasted even better. I used a 10'' spring form pan as that's what I had on hand. I baked it for 65 minutes. Probably could have gotten away with only 60. But I will definitely be making this again. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I just selected 3 of U'r recipes & supposedly posted to my F/B pg but only 1 was posted & now I can't find them listed here, this 1 which was posted, fruit puff & can't remem. 3rd. How can I see more of U'r recipes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gale I do not know what the problem is with my pin it button. If you tell me what you are looking for I will send you the links.

      Delete
  38. Can you use frozen peaches, thawed?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Can you use frozen peaches, (thawed)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...