Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Blue Cheese Pumpkin Baked Macaroni



I think I may have caused some confusion yesterday when I mentioned " the pumpkin fest" at my house and all of the things I have been making. I am trying not to post all of the recipes here because I know there are some that do not like pumpkin and I do not want you to abandon me in droves.


But I did receive several emails for my Pumpkin Macaroni recipe and so decided to post it today instead of just emailing it to those who asked. 



I use pumpkin all year, it is a super food and adds flavor and fiber to your diet without changing the tastes. In fact last year I made Pumpkin Ricotta Stuffed Shells and they were fabulous, unless you knew they had pumpkin in them you could not tell a difference in the taste of an Italian Stuffed Shell recipe. 



This year, as my second favorite food is cheese,  I thought I would try a macaroni and cheese dish. I found several great ideas from blogs and magazines, which I adapted to my own "go to" recipe to suit my taste.



Pumpkin Blue Cheese Macaroni 
Recipe adapted from Brokass GourmetBetter Homes and GardensRachael Ray and me!

Ingredients:

8 ounces of dried macaroni or whatever pasta shape you choose
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of white ground pepper
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
1 15 oz can of pumpkin puree(not pie filling)
1 cup of Saga Blue Brie Cheese
1/8 cup grated fresh Parmesan
pinch of nutmeg

Topping: 

1/2 cup of grated white cheddar cheese


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare an 8 x 8 inch pan with cooking spray or softened butter(my choice). Boil water and prepare the noodles, when el dente drain and set aside.

In sauce pan, melt the butter until brown, then add the flour, salt and pepper. Stir with a whisk until a paste forms. Then add milk and heavy cream, stir until thickened and bubbly then add the pumpkin, and the Saga Blue Brie along with the grated Parmesan  and nutmeg. Mix until smooth and the cheese is melted. Add the cooked and drained noodles. Mix well and pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle top with the white cheddar cheese.

Bake for 15 minutes, the broil for 1-3 minutes until top is  browned. Do not over bake or the macaroni will be dry. Serve with a side salad.




This macaroni is creamy and delicious. There is a hint of nutmeg and a mild tangy flavor from the Saga Blue Brie with a crunchy cheddar topping. The dish does come out this interesting orange color but it does not detract at all from the taste, unless you have an aversion to the color orange. 

I love this dish, it is one of my new favorites and in fact is now one of my husbands also. He enjoyed it so much he asked me to make it again this weekend, as did a friend whom I made a pan for. 



I hope that if  you try this or any other recipes you come back and let me know, I would love to hear how you changed the recipe to suit your tastes or your cheese drawer. 

Have a wonderful day! 

30 comments:

  1. Hello Elizabeth:
    Although we are hopeless cooks we do have to say that this looks absolutely delicious and would make a wonderful lunch or light supper dish.

    And, by the way, your images are so good. Often food when photographed does not look its best - not so here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lance and Jane,

      You are so right, this is a delicious lunch and light supper with fresh salad.

      Thank you so much for you compliments about the photos. It is challenging to take photos of food.

      Delete
  2. Oh THIS dish is soooooo getting made in my house! I LOVE pumpkin and may I say I worship BLUE CHEESE!!!!! thank you for the morning smile : ) hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, I hope that if you make it you come back and let me know how you liked it.

      Delete
  3. Holy macaroni...this looks otherworldy good! Amazing...my kids would love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina,

      I promise that you will love this macaroni and cheese! I hope you make it.

      Delete
  4. Elizabeth, this sounds decadent and delicious! Yum...I love macaroni and cheese of any kind. And blue cheese is one of my favorites. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday,

      It is all of the adjectives you used to describe it and more.

      I think it is now my favorite recipe for macaroni.

      Have a great day!

      Delete
  5. Hi Elizabeth, Mac and cheese is probably my #1 comfort food, and I also love anything pumpkin. Hubby eats blue cheese whenever I give him the opportunity, so I'm thinking this recipe will be a winner in our house! In answer to an earlier question posed a few days ago, YES, I log snail mail. I did a post a few years ago too about that. Notes from my kids and friends are precious to me. I'm a new follower, off now to find a good banned book! :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I blame you in advance for my imminent weight gain when i inevitably make this!!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, Elizabeth, you can cook! I wanna live in your house!! I love mac and cheese, and I'm always looking for ways to jazz it up. I've had it with bacon, lobster, chicken.....but never with pumpkin. Thanks for sharing this one. Ciao, Loi

    ReplyDelete
  8. MY OH MY, if I was not lactose intolerant, this would be a hit at my house weekly! HELLO THERE MY DEAR! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elizabeth this sounds so decadently delish!! Yum!

    I am having an amazing Giveaway of Plush Pumpkins from Love Feast!
    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karena,

      Thank you for the give away reminder.

      Have a great week, Elizabeth

      Delete
  10. I think it looks amazing. I hope you have put it on pinterest so I can pin it. Thanks for sharing. It is the perfect time of the year to be sharing pumpkin recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elizabeth are you trying to do my hips in? Because now I'm thinking I'll make this and your pumpin bars this weekend and we'll have a feast of pumpkin! I love mac-n-cheese! Thanks for the recipes!

    XXX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so hungry and this is one of my favorites - can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Elizabeth

    This recipe looks delicious and I love pumpkin as a vegetable.

    Helenx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've got me with this one, Elizabeth. I will be adding these ingredients to my grocery list this week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pumpkin, blue cheese, brie, macaroni... I think my brain just exploded... It really doesn't change the taste? Really?? I am very curious... but wary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Elizabeth: I never thought to add pumpkin or blue cheese to mac and cheese, so I am very intrigued by your recipe. I will have to give it a try. I often add sauteed mushrooms and tomatoes to my mac and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Elizabeth,
    I am visiting from Yvonne's On The Menu Monday. Your Pumpkin Blue Brie Cheese Baked Macaroni is a fabulous Macaroni Dish, a perfect presentation for the fall season. Hope you are having a great week and thanks for sharing!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is excellent with the pumpkin! It looks wonderful, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks so delicious! I am the featured blog this week, hope you can drop by.

    Pumpkin Fun
    Have an enjoyable pumpkin-licious weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so making this! Ilove pumpkin and am SO glad you posted this at ONMM at Yvonne's. She featured you today. XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummm! I saw your great recipe share at Stone Gable - On the Menu Monday...what a great fall share! I pinned your recipe and plan on making this soon! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Whoa! What a great flavor combo! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for sharing on Simple & Sweet Fridays.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh my .... oh my...... do I love love love cheese? Will I be making this on Saturday?

    Yes, Yes, Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh man, you're killin' me with this..it looks deelish! i saw you featured on another site, and i had to come over and give you some comment love on this amazing concoction!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...