Friday, October 12, 2012

TED Ideas Worth Spreading


As I mentioned yesterday, I  love to learn new things; I actually strive to learn something new on a daily basis. Now don't get me wrong I am not learning to play the mandolin in a day or to sing Gregorian chants, I am talking about both big and small things; new words, a new genre of books, more about issues that interest me and things like that.



As a huge fan of the Internet and online learning I wanted to tell you today about an online resource that you may not know about. It is called TED


Are you a fan? If not, than continue on, because I promise you that this is one of the greatest places for learning available today and it is FREE! If you already know about it than just skip the rest and have a fabulous weekend. 


TED, is a non-profit devoted to "Ideas Worth Spreading". It began as a "one of" conference bringing people together in Technology, Entertainment and Design in 1984 and by 1990 was an annual event. The conference which is now twice a year, brings together people from all walks of life, like Bill Clinton, Jane Goodall, Bill Gates, Phillipe Stark, Isabel Allende, Yo YO Ma, and many Nobel Prize winners. Each person is given 18 minutes to present their ideas in the most innovative and engaging way and the good news is that we get to see and hear it all.



The goal of the foundation in their words is:


" to foster the spread of great ideas. It aims to provide a platform for the world's smartest thinkers, greatest visionaries and most-inspiring teachers, so that millions of people can gain a better understanding of the biggest issues faced by the world, and a desire to help create a better future. Core to this goal is a belief that there is no greater force for changing the world than a powerful idea. Consider:
  • An idea can be created out of nothing except an inspired imagination.
  • An idea weighs nothing.
  • It can be transferred across the world at the speed of light for virtually zero cost.
  • And yet an idea, when received by a prepared mind, can have extraordinary impact.
  • It can reshape that mind's view of the world.
  • It can dramatically alter the behavior of the mind's owner.
  • It can cause the mind to pass on the idea to others." ( TED)


What this means for you and I, is that we have access to some of the greatest thinkers in the world, speaking about everything from animal conservation, music, art, depression, nutrition, empowering women, global warming, peace, medical breakthroughs, and much more. You can follow this LINK and watch over 1050 talks on the  Internet, Ipads, Ipods and through live streaming.



TED is an amazing place to learn and expand your knowledge, it has pod-casts in just about anything that you may have an interest in. I promise that if you check it out, you will be blown away by the speakers and you will leave inspired, challenged and counting the minutes until your next visit.


Knowledge is addicting and at TED you will quickly find yourself lost for hours and coming away a better and smarter person. 

For those of you that are familiar with TED I would love it if you would leave your impressions in the comment section. And for those that leave here to check it out, please come back and tell me what you think.  I am interested in what you have listened to. 

Have a great weekend!


6 comments:

  1. Oh, I KNOW TED very well. I was inspired by the French born PAPER ARTIST who lived in S. America who struggled for years with the inevitable rejections, but now is a thriving artist. I cannot recall her name, but if you are on TED's sight, search for French paper artist. She is stunning. She comes out on the stage cloaked in a PAPER CLOAK...phenomenal. I too, love to learn something new each day. My home is full of books. But now, my heart has to embrace the many lessons that poetry, philosophy and religion teach. LIVING what you learn is the most difficult, but most rewarding of all knowledge. THANK YOU for your help, my dear.

    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am fascinated and intrigued. When I get home later I am going to go see what its all about..sounds amazing! I can so see how it could get addicting...oh fun thing to do later!!
    Thanks Elizabeth....have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, TED is certainly worth checking out. I am unfamiliar with it, but will be exploring it this afternoon. I have found wonderful sources for continuing education on the internet. I often download lectures. And, we are fortunate to live where there is a Presidential Library that offers lectures throughout the year.

    I have held you in my heart and thoughts since reading your comment yesterday. Watching our friends suffer is certainly one of the most difficult things in life. Especially so when there is a great distance between friends. Take care and have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard about TED but never really checked anything out. After reading your post, I know what I will be doing this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth - Thanks for sharing. I've never heard of TED.....where have I been? I'll check it out this weekend. Take care, and talk soon ~
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter-in-law's brother-in-law has been a TED speaker! It is an amazing site!
    Have a super weekend Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...