Friday, November 30, 2012

Advent Calenders the Christmas Countdown

Good morning, it is Friday! You cannot see me but I am dancing a jig. I am so tired, and it has been such a long two weeks that I need a break. I cannot wait to sleep in tomorrow! 

Image from Lovely Things

For today, more of all things Christmas.  After the next few weeks I may have to rename the blog because for the month it is ALL about Christmas at my house and blog. 

Image Source

I do not have any little ones but I have fond memories of my advent calender. My brothers and sisters and I eagerly awaited the opening each day of one little box where there would be a piece of chocolate to help us count down the 25 days until Christmas. 

Image Source

Now days, I do not have a calender but I do make one for my niece.  I collect small gifts all year for my sister and my niece, wrap, label and then ship the 50 little gifts to them to open. They are placed under a little tree and each morning they each pick one to open. 

Image Source

I have found some wonderful calenders on Pinterest and in the catalogs that arrive by the truckload each day in my mailbox. These are a few of my favorites.

25 Christmas books one for each day image here

Image Pottery Barn

Do you have an Advent calender for your children or grandchildren?  Did you have one as a child?

Image Source
Image Source

Tell me, how is your decorating coming along? Do you have plans this weekend to do a little decorating? Or will you be doing something else exciting, traveling, reading, baking or relaxing? 

Adult Version


Whatever your plans enjoy your weekend!

Image Source

9 comments:

  1. How wonderful, dear Elizabeth! I can imagine the delight of your sister and niece...
    You are their pre-Santa Santa! :))
    Sweet friend, I wish you a relaxing weekend...
    I will be in full holiday planning mode!
    And I'll definitely drink some hot chocolate..
    Much love,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter has two advent calendars. One I made for my sons 24 years ago, they insisted I got it out when she was a baby and used it for her. The other one is a sweet one, a large box with drawers and each day she unwraps a piece of the nativity, ending with the Baby Jesus on Christmas Eve.
    Have a lovely day, I'm off to my Chocolate gift exchange today.
    Jude x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so much fun! When my children were little I used to have so much fun coming up with ideas for their Advent calendar which had 24 little doors. I miss those days!

    Enjoy your weekend, Elizabeth! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I particularly like the look of that adult version :-)
    I still buy a chocolate one for Meg every year. Old habits die hard.
    Hope you are well dear one.
    Di
    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I particularly like the look of that adult version :-)
    I still buy one for Meg each year. Old habits die hard!
    Hope you are keeping well dear one.
    Di
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these Elizabeth! I haven't thought of an advent calender in years and had one growing up and loved it. What a sweet thing to do for your sister and niece. Me I'm still working like crazy and will be all weekend but the crunch is almost over and I can't wait I'm tired!

    Enjoy your weekend!
    XXX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of these are beautiful, that first image is so pretty. How sweet the tradition you have with your sister is! I love that, glad you get to sleep in, enjoy the relaxation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW how did I miss this?I KNOW....I TOO AM TIRED! WOW it is non-stop at the moment! Sending you a big hug my friend! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these advent calenders, my favorite is the gingerbread man.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...