Monday, November 5, 2012

Banana Cream Tarts


Hello Monday! How was your weekend? Mine was good, busy but good. Now I am getting myself ready for another crazy week  with the election and another Nor'easter coming this direction! 




I had a lot of work to catch up on this weekend, so I did not get too much reading or baking done. But I did manage to make a couple Banana Cream Tarts, and they were scrumptious!




Banana Cream Tart
Inspired by Martha Stewart

Ingredients:

Crust:
2 cups of crumbs ( I used Oreos and graham crackers)
1/2 stick of melted butter

Preheat oven to 350. Mix butter and crumbs press into pie pan/tart shell. Bake for 12 minutes. Cool

Filling:

4 egg yolks
8 ripe bananas
3 cups of whole milk
2/3 cup sugar
5 Tablespoons of cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt


Directions:

1. In a large bowl prepare an ice bath set to side.
2. Lightly whisk egg yolks in a large bowl, set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan whisk together milk, sugar, cornstarch and salt.
4. Bring to a simmer, Do NOT Boil! Cook, whisking constantly for 3-4 minutes.
5. Whisk a quarter of the ,ilk into the bowl of egg yolks, whisk a few seconds then add the rest of the milk mixture. 
6. Return mixture to pan and cook over medium high heat whisking constantly until custard is thick, about 4-5 minutes. 
At this point you can place pan in an ice bath or transfer to a bowl, press cling wrap to the surface so that no crust forms and cool in the refrigerator. 


Whipping Cream

1 cup heavy cream
2 to 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar

Whip cream with electric mixer until soft peaks form then add sugar and mix with spoon until combined. 

To Assemble:

Slice 6 bananas and place neatly over crust. Pour filling over bananas, then spread with whipping cream. Place in refrigerator for a couple of hours. Just before serving slice bananas and decorate the top of pie. 



 This little tart is fabulous! I love the combination of the Oreo and graham crackers in the crust, you get just a hint of chocolate flavor. The pudding is creamy and delicious and is a great compliment to the bananas and the whipping cream.




I know there are a lot of variations for banana cream pie, and frankly I do not think you could go wrong with any of them, a traditional pate brisee, a layer of chocolate or even just a few chocolate curls on top, all wonderful additions.


Do you have a favorite banana cream pie/tart recipe? I would love to hear about it. 


I hope you have a wonderful day!


Coastal Charm
Katherine Martinelli
 Tea Time Tuesday at Rose Chintz Cottage 
A Return to Loveliness  at A Delightsome Life 
Tea Cup Tuesday at Martha's Favorites
Tea Cup Tuesday at Artful Affirmations
Table Top Tuesday  at A Stroll Thru Life


12 comments:

  1. Hello Elizabeth:
    Until this moment we had never heard of Banana Cream Tart. But it certainly looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Elizabeth!

    Whew....we have all been busy, haven't we? I am getting ready for the art show on November 17 and there is so much to do that I have to attack each day in a calculated way to make sure I get things done!

    NOW I HEAR you are all supposed to get more rain? I PRAY YOU ARE SAFE! Keeping you in my thoughts my dear, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth!

    This looks yummy and even if I don't make it today.. I am NOW craving bananas.

    Stay dry!

    xx
    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a sweet note!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing...doesn't banana cream take you back to Gilligan's Island? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh... these do look scrumptious. Waiting for them to come out with Taste-A-Vision monitors. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a melt in your mouth recipe!! Thanks so much for sharing on SImple & Sweet Fridays.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum,
    Sounds wonderful! Thanks for the recipe.
    Pat @ Pat's Pink Apron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop. Wishing you a happy weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks and sounds amazing! Wonderfully photographed! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so delicious! Thanks for linking up at the 6 days of spring party :) Kelly (thelilypadcottage)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...