Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thanksgiving Side Dishes

Seriously, what is going on with the weather? We are having icy rain, high winds and unseasonably cold weather; these Nor'easter storms are brutal.



As I was sitting last night listening to the rain and wind lash at the house I thought perhaps I would make some plans for Thanksgiving dinner. After all, as much as I love dessert which I mentioned yesterday, my husband and guests might want something more substantial.


I know this is yet another culinary item that people have definite opinions on, and so I thought I would find some examples of the traditional sides but with a little twist. 

Sweet Potatoes

Smokey Sweet Potato and Mashed Potato Bake


Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Pecans and Brown Sugar Glaze


Sweet Potato Apple Gratin

Sweet Potatoes Streusel Casserole

Mashed Potatoes

Mash Potatoes and Caramelized Shallots
Browned Butter Mashed Potatoes
Mashed Potatoes en Croute


Vegetables

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Roasted Root Vegetables
Roasted Asparagus

Stuffing

Wild Rice Stuffing
Herbed Bread Stuffing with Sausage and Mushrooms
Artichoke Mushroom Stuffing


Sourdough Stuffing with Pears and Sausage

I love stuffing, and mashed potatoes but I am not really a fan of sweet potatoes or Brussels sprouts. I think this year though, I am going to branch out and try a few new things.
Tell me what are your favorite sides? Do you have some traditional family recipes that you always serve on Thanksgiving? 

I hope you have a great day, and I hope that if you are in the path of the Nor'easter that you are not without power again. Be safe in the snow, rain and the wind.

8 comments:

  1. It's snowing and blowing up in New England right now and Dylan dog is going to love it, he likes rolling in the snow. My husband only wants his sausage sage stuffing and after that I can fix whatever I want to try out and always try at least two new recipes every year.

    XXX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it's these starchy carbs that I love the best! SWEET POTATOES ROCK!!!!!!!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am learning to come here well fed, otherwise I leave starving and craving a full course meal:) Yum is the first word that comes to mind. Yes to all the above! Hey its Thanksgiving...a time of no limits in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think Thanksgiving is complete without sweet potato casserole. Yummy! Speaking of yummy, great pictures and post. Just in time to get all of us deciding on our holiday menu!
    Have a great day and blessings from Still Woods

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comfort food! Yummy :) I made macaroni and cheese for dinner last night and added a few roasted brussel sprouts (I know they are healthy and I've tried them in just about every way..still not really fond of them). The mac and cheese was good but everyone sort of worked around the brussel sprouts. Oh well, I tried. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, All the yummy pictures have me craving Thanksgiving. I have to have traditional southern cornbread dressing. I am not fond of the yams with marshmallows; I will most likely make my roasted sweet potatoes with garlic and rosemary. Really....it is all about the dressing. Okay you have really made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cornbread dressing is my favorite with celery, onions, sage and the dripping from the turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. cornbread sage dressing is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...