Friday, November 2, 2012

Thoughts

Hello! It's finally Friday!



Can I be honest? The last few days I have felt pretty shallow blogging about what seems like inconsequential things when so many people are suffering. I am completely overwhelmed when I see the news stories of people who died in their homes because they were afraid of looters. Or of an 81 year old man who walked down 15 flights of stairs and then walked 3 blocks in raw sewage to ask for help for his elderly friends. 


And the swindlers...there are no words for people who take advantage of the suffering of others. 


There is a winter storm coming this direction, it is already getting down in the 30's and 40's. Four days later so many of these people are without power, light, heat, food and water and medication. They are alone, scared and wondering where the help is. 


I have lived through several hurricanes and nor'easters and have seen unbelievable damage. We even suffered some ourselves two years ago, I will not go into all of the details because I could write a book, but I will tell you that it was a mess. But at the end of the day, I still had my husband, my pup, a house, water, heat, and light!

So many of these people did not have insurance, either they could not get it or they did not have the money. They have lost EVERYTHING! Aside from donating money what can we do to help these people? 

I am looking for information that you may have about helping individual families in need, not just giving money to the Red Cross. Do you know of anything like this?I would love to do something to help and perhaps some of my readers would too. 

My thoughts and prayers are with all of the people who are suffering on the East Coast and with all of our blog friends who live there and are without the basic necessities. 

I hope you have a good weekend! 

8 comments:

  1. Good morning precious Elizabeth! Thank you for coming to my new post and yes, I have been crazy BUSY! I go today to sell my dozens of little paper shoe ornaments to the bridal stationary shop and hope to make enough to be profitable. But the experience and the local exposure will be a thrill!

    I have to prepare as well for a Nov.17th art show I will be participating in as well! YIKES! But this is what I wanted, so I GOT IT! AND I also started a writing course last night that will require I hand in some assignments so I think I am very busy now!

    I have a question about Adsense; what happens to your previous earnings if they did not reach the threshold? My dashboard started fresh with the new month, so does that get combined with the previous earnings?

    ANYHOOOOO.....I am also praying for our dear friends on the east coast. I know of one friend who has a lot of clean up to do due to the fallen trees and debris.

    BE WELL MY DEAR! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Elizabeth:
    You highlight one of the very worst aspects of disasters such as Hurricane Sandy when you make mention of those who, by whatever means, seek to profit from the appalling misfortune of others. Here in Europe we watch with horror the suffering which continues to unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth
    What a thought provoking post, it sounds dreadful for so many people, particularly, the elderly, the lonely and the uninsured.
    Our friends in New York have been without power, but importantly the whole family are safe and well.
    I suppose donating old warm clothes, particularly coats, gloves etc would help, and family sized tins of food as well as washing powder and soap would be useful for the RedCross and other charities.
    For us here in Europe it is quicker to donate money as sending things can take a while.
    Wishing you a peaceful weekend.
    Jude x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, it breaks my heart. I wonder if there are organizations; even churches that have set up an "Adopt a Family" like many do at the Holidays? Just a thought.

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    2012 Artists Series

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning, Elizabeth;
    There is only one charity of which I know where 100% is given to the victims. You can go to www.mercuryone.org for information.
    That you for posting and showing your concern for others. If we all did this, maybe our world would be a better place.

    Take care.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post, thank you for reminding us of the severity and loss that is on such a grand scale it is hard to fathom . . . if you find the details about charities please pass along the info

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a heartwarming post...my heart has been breaking for all our NYC and New Jersey neighbors and I too am looking for the proper charity to help. We are still without power but that is trivial compared to what others are going through. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post gave me chills, dear friend...and this is why I simply had to take a blogging hiatus...it is overwhelming to begin to imagine what so many are going through...
    How can we help besides money and prayers?
    I truly do not have the answer...
    I am hoping that coming winter weather will be mild after all.
    Bless you, dear Elizabeth..
    Hugs,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...