Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas Cookies: Coconut Pecan Tarts


Good morning, how are you? I hope that you had a good weekend. If I am totally honest I found it to be a very difficult weekend, for I could not forget the beautiful faces of those lost in in Connecticut. I simply cannot wrap my mind around  this tragedy. My thoughts and prayer go out to the families and the town. 


I found myself reflecting and relaxing and of course baking to get ready for my family. I am so excited to be able to be with them at this most sacred time of the year. We will be baking, eating, wrapping and then opening presents, playing games and doing puzzles and so much more. 



What did you do this weekend? Did you bake? Wrap gifts? Shop? or relax? Will you be traveling or having guests?


One of the many, many things I made this weekend were these little cookies, they are similar to pecan tassies and very easy to make, not to mention delicious!

Coconut Pecan Cookie Tarts
Recipe from Southern Living Magazine

Tart Dough
1 cup butter softened
2 (3oz) packages of cream cheese
1 cup sweetened coconut
2 cups all purpose flour

Filling
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

Whisk all filling ingredients together until blended.

Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed until creamy, stir in coconut. Gradually add flour and beat at low speed until incorporated.  Shape into 36 balls and chill for one hour. Place dough balls into lightly greased mini-muffin tins and shape to fit. Spoon in filling and bake at 350 for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 250 and bake for an additional 10 or more minutes until filling is set. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes, and then remove from pan and cool completely.





I also made some fabulous Salted Caramel Bark and if you would like the recipe you can visit my other blog Once Upon a Chocolate Life.

Enjoy your day and the spirit of the season. 

Linking to:

Stone Gable
Savvy Southern Style
Rattlebridge Farm

15 comments:

  1. Hi there Elizabeth...hey the husband and I made salted bark with peppermint and white chocolate, I found a recipe and it isn’t half bad. We went into the forest this weekend and dug up a couple of tabletop trees and decorated those. The house is finally decorated and now the baking begins as people will be descending upon us come Saturday. Luckily we get to spend the holidays in our home entertaining.

    XXX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debra! I would love to have a walk in the woods for my tree! I cannot wait to hear about the baking!

      Delete
  2. Hi I so agree, this has stayed with me all weekend long and kept my heart feeling heavy and heartbroken. Seeing the interfaith service, hearing the names and stories just made it so real and so emotional. I simply cannot imagine the grief so many families are going through right now. All we can do is keep them in our prayers and pray for their strength and for God to guide them through this dark path.

    On a lighter note, these sound decadent and delicious! I think I may have to try them, my husband loves coconut!! Thanks...hope all else is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I too have a heavy heart about this terrible tragedy. I think that perhaps something needs to be done to help people who have mental disabilities because clearly that is not happening.

      I hope you try these cookies, they are delicious.

      Delete
  3. Good morning sweet one! I too have been having spurts of emotion. This morning, I saw a photo of one of the students....a beautiful little boy. OK, I am going to start to cry again....

    Much love to you Elizabeth....Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, Elizabeth. We are all heartbroken.

    I bake pecan tarts like this, but I've never put coconut in the dough. Sounds delish. I'll try it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly, I would love to hear about your recipes. I am coming to see what you are baking!

      Delete
  5. Elizabeth, This was a difficult week for a nation...for the world. I, too, took refuge in the kitchen.

    Oh, the pecan tarts look wonderful. I may them for my Christmas Eve party. Enjoy! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful images and such a yummy recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh YUM! It sounds like you have some good memory making festivities all lined up.
    Merry Christmas!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello dear friend...like you, I had a tough time focusing on anything these past few days...
    I agree...this is a mental health issue...and needs to be addressed right now.
    I did cook and bake on Sunday, and posted on that...
    Now getting ready for my MIL's arrival...lots to do.
    I am very happy that you will have a house full of precious family this Christmas!
    Much love to you,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I just came accross your website searching for coconut tarts! Perfect timing - thank you. But could I ask you where did you find your snowman measuring spoons?

    I am up in Canada but I can tell you we are just as affected by the tragedy. As a mother of three I am struggling to even look at those little faces and then into my little ones. i have heard about a movement they are trying to start called 26 acts of kindness - one for each person that was killed. Lovely idea - I started yesterday and in some small way I hope it helps.

    Merry Christmas,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,

    I just came accross your website whiel searching for coconut tarts - thank you! I was wondering though where did you get your snowman measuring spoons? I love them - and my sister would as well...

    I am up in Canada and we are distressed by what happened in CT as well. As a mother of 3 I find it so hard to look at the faces in the news...they are no different than the little faces in our schools. I heard about a movement called 26 random acts of kindness - one for each person who was killed. I started yesterday. In some small way it helps me to cope.

    Best wishes - merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I just came accross your website searching for coconut tarts! Perfect timing - thank you. But could I ask you where did you find your snowman measuring spoons?

    I am up in Canada but I can tell you we are just as affected by the tragedy. As a mother of three I am struggling to even look at those little faces and then into my little ones. i have heard about a movement they are trying to start called 26 acts of kindness - one for each person that was killed. Lovely idea - I started yesterday and in some small way I hope it helps.

    Merry Christmas,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...