Thursday, January 17, 2013

Little Free Library

Good morning! Thursday, thank goodness. I have a lot going on this week and I am anxious for the weekend. 

Image Source

I am sure that if you have read this blog for any length of time you know that next to sugar and cheese, books are one of my favorite things in the world. Free books rate even higher. 

Image Source

Recently, while visiting my mom I noticed several little bird house like structures dotting peoples front lawns near the sidewalk; upon closer inspection I found out they are libraries. From the non-profit group called Little Free Library

Image Source

Are you familiar with them? The idea was conceived in Hudson, Wisconsin by Todd Bol. Bol built a little library in the shape of a schoolhouse to honor  his mother who was a book lover and a teacher and mounted it on his front lawn. 

Image Source

Together with his partner Rick Brooks they founded Little Free Library. The goal is to promote literacy around the world by offering free books to take or to leave for others to read. 

Image Source

These little libraries are sprouting up all over the world and in fact are in 36 countries. Little Free Library has surpassed it's goal to build more libraries than Andrew Carnegie and this year reached 5000! 

Do you have a Little Free Library in your neighborhood? Or your own yard? I do not have one yet but perhaps that will be a project for this summer. 

Image Source

I hope you have a great day!

16 comments:

  1. This is the coolest cutest thing! I love it..no don't think so but anyone could start one! I love the concept and now need to check around.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, yes everyone can start one! I think the idea is wonderful. Doesn't everyone have a pile of books that someone else would love?

      Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. YES! WE HAVE THESE LITTLE LIBRARIES in the Twin Cities! There is just one up the street from us! To me, a good book is like a meal. Without one, I feel weak, but when I am able to devour more than one a day, I feel as if I can conquer and create my own thoughts so much better.

    Oh my dear, ENJOY YOUR DAY! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, I think you need to have one in your magical front year! Perhaps designed like one of your little theaters!

      I hope you have a wonderful week my dear!

      Delete
  3. There are a few here in Denver! I discovered these little wonders a few months ago, and have been meaning to go find them ever since!! I'm so glad you posted this, I want to build one! Might help if I had a yard first... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April, these are a fabulous little find! I hope that you do build one, I am sure that it would be beautiful!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful concept!! I love that you said next to sugar and cheese, you love books. I am right there with you on all three!!! What are you reading these days?

    Enjoy your day! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, yes sugar and cheese are my two favorite food groups!

      I am reading so many great books, what sort do you read? I would be more than happy to pass some along.

      Have a great day

      Delete
  5. i want to start one here! love this!

    michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, I hope you do start one! It would be beautiful with your fabulous paintings along the sides!

      Delete
  6. Elizabeth, I have been seeing pictures of these on pinterest and other blogs. Thank you for the background information. I have been thinking it would be great to put one by our neighborhood clubhouse. I think they are absolutely adorable and a wonderful idea. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, a wonderful idea to be sure at the neighborhood clubhouse!

      Delete
  7. Hi, Elizabeth - Yes, I've heard about these, but never seen one in person. Such a wonderful, wonderful idea. I love it. Thank you for sharing. Enjoy your weekend, and don't work too hard :)
    xoxo
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loi, I could see you with a beautiful Swedish designed one in your front garden.

      I hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  8. Hi Elizabeth,

    Interesting idea! I've never seen or heard of these .. thank you for sharing. What a creative, unique way to get EVERYONE reading. This is something I would think WA state would be all over.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our local news had a story on this gentleman recently...so wonderful, brilliant and enchanting...and he's from Wisconsin!! :) Oh, I can just imagine when we finally meet, Elizabeth...sugar, cheese, and books...let the fun begin! ;)
    We have MANY of these sweet libraries in our area....so fantastic.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...