Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pride and Prejudice Celebrating 200 Years!


Good morning! Did you know that yesterday was the 200 Anniversary of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen? Love it or loath it is seems that opinion is split down the middle. 


Image Nose in a Book

This iconic book featuring Jane and Mr. Darcy as well as an entire cast of characters has spawned an empire; from video games, to movies, to spin-offs to coffee mugs and other promotional material, tours and so much more. 


Image Source


Personally I am a romantic and I love the book as well as most of the movie adaptations. 


Image from Mighty Girl



I mean what is not to love about a penniless girl who really needs to marry for money but holds out to marry for love? In this book, love conquers all. 


Image Source


Obviously, there is more to the story than that, but in a nutshell that is the iconic story with its classic lines that has enthralled most readers for 200 years. In fact Pride and Prejudice is in the top 25 books of all time! 


Image from Etsy Miss Kismet Shop

If you are a fan and would like to test your knowledge of Pride and Prejudice than go to The Telegraph and take their amusing quiz.

Image Etsy, A New History

Also if you are visiting or live in Baltimore, Maryland between now and July you can visit Goucher College to view the largest collection in North America of Jane Austen's work. 

Image Source

This collection was donated by Alberta Burke in 1975 who along with her husband, Henry collected Jane Austen's books, translations, newspaper articles and other periodicals relating to Jane Austen. 

Image Nose in a Book


The collection also documents Henry Burke's co-founding the Jane Austen Society of North America.  Follow this Link to view the Collection as well as additional information about Jane Austen. 

Are you a fan of Pride and Prejudice? Of Jane Austen? Let me know I would love to hear what you think!

Enjoy your day!

7 comments:

  1. Yep I am a fan....Colin Firth did it proud. I have seen it several times and it never gets old, only better as I get older!
    Enjoy your day.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read this book once but might be time to give it another read since I know I have a copy around here somewhere. I should have known this was one of your favorite reads since you love Downtown Abby so much.

    Enjoy your day!!!!
    XXX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 200th anniversary to Pride and Prejudice! I am a big fan of it as well as Emma and Sense and Sensibility. Jane Austen could not have imagined the impact it would have on readers all around the world and throughout the centuries. And as you said, Elizabeth Bennet is one of the most beloved characters in literature. And the love story in P & P is one of the most cherished. The themes of the book never go out of style and that is why it is eternally fresh. Loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes I saw this in the news yesterday and had to jump over and look at the English Estate filmed in the movie! Sigh.. Such a romantic setting for such a romantic tale! Thanks for your kind comments on my cookie post!:)
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a huge fan, I am a romantic too. I also love Emma and Sense and Sensibility.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...