Monday, March 11, 2013

Architectural Salvage Adventures

Good morning! I hope you enjoyed your weekend! I did, but I will admit that I am not a fan of Daylight Savings, neither loosing an hour of sleep or moving the clocks ahead. 



I spent the weekend trolling around architectural salvage stores, searching for who knows what, but whatever it was, I did not find it. 



This particular place was in an old bottling plant and it was huge. The fact that is had no heat made the search for treasures a little challenging. It was actually colder inside that outside.  


There were so many great pieces of history here; chandeliers, staircases, storefronts, old cashier and teller windows from banks, safes, leaded windows.



As well as games from old arcades, toys, pianos and more. 



Row upon row of beautiful doors, windows and cast iron tubs. 



Hand carved stonework from some of the many churches and old houses that have been torn down to make way for the modern world. 



So many beautiful, wonderful and weird finds, all whispering the stories of their past as you walked by them, or so it seemed,



As I said, I did not find anything at this store but it was fun to see the pieces of past and to know that they are being saved



Are you a fan of salvage? Have you used any in your own home? 



Do you have a favorite place to shop for finds like these? Or do you shop online?


I hope that you have a fabulous day! Don't forget that I am hosting my first give away! I am giving a copy of Claudia Strassers' new book away. If you are a fan of flea markets and Paris you are going to want a copy of this book.



Follow the link HERE and leave me a comment. I will pick a winner on Friday!

7 comments:

  1. Love a good salvage dig...home away from home. Looks like you had fun Elizabeth. Maybe next time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes me too..daylight savings always takes me a good week to get used to but I do love that extra hour of daylight!
    What an interesting place to rummage through...the closest we have is reclaimed floors and a few old mantles and statuary pieces from the old house on this property, does that count:) Love imagining the history behind certain pieces.......fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love digging in salvage places but never in the winter since they are never heated. When we first bought our home we had to replace three of the original antique solid wood bedroom doors. Now we just like going because we enjoy digging and you never know what you might find.

    XXX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning lovely friend! We have oodles of salvage shops in our area and our home is graced by many a find! Chandeliers (two of them), a fireplace mantle and some garden architecture are part of our home décor!

    Have a FABULOUS week and thank you so much for coming by to see my poetry. Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are fans of salvaged wood and have many neat things in our home made from it....old corbels used as shelves...things like that. I would love to go shopping with you one day! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like fun, Elizabeht...even if you didn't find anything!

    I would love to win the book...on my way to click the link!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth, I love digging through salvage shops. Your pictures remind me of one I have visited in St. Louis. There is just something about the dust and the grime that makes the adrenaline run. I do not like this time change either. It sets me off balance. Have a wonderful week. Bonie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...