Monday, April 15, 2013

Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

Good morning! I hope that you had a wonderful weekend, in spite of the sleet, ice, and snow. I am sure that Spring is on it's way to you soon. It was a beautiful weekend here, the sun was shining, the flowers were blooming and almost overnight little leaves sprouted on the tops of the trees.



I enjoyed several walks and did a little Spring cleaning but I have to tell you the down side of Spring...the pollen. It is terrible this year. It covers everything with a thick green film and if you open the windows every surface is covered and looks as if no one had dusted for months. 


In addition to battling the pollen, I did bake a delicious Cream Cheese Coffee Cake that I found on Pinterest. The recipe is from Just Baked, a new to me food blog written by Kim, with beautiful photos and scrumptious recipes.



Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Recipe from Just Baked

Ingredients:

Filling:

Two 8 oz. packages of softened cream cheese
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 large egg

Cake:

3 cups of flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup of unsalted butter, softened
1 cup of sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup of sour cream

For the topping:
1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of flour
3 Tbs. butter, chilled

Glaze:

1/4 cup of powdered sugar
11/2 tsp milk



Directions:

Filling:

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 13 x 9 inch pan. Set aside.

In an eclectic mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla on medium-low speed until creamy. Set aside.

Cake:

In a medium bowl, mix flour baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until combined. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer cream together the butter and sugar on low speed. Add eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla extract. Slowly pour in the flour and alternate with the sour cream until combined.

Spread half of the batter into the pan, the batter is think so you have to move it around. Then spread the cream cheese mixture over the batter. Dollop the remaining batter over the top and spread over the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the top. Bake for 45 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean. Let cool and then drizzle with the frosting.

NOTE:  I added nutmeg, and cinnamon, the original recipe does not contain that.


This is delicious! The hint of spices and the sweetness of the cream cheese combined with the moist cake makes this a perfect cake for breakfast, a snack or even dessert. 

Did you bake anything this weekend? Or have any interesting adventures? I would love to hear about them!

Enjoy your day!

9 comments:

  1. Oh sweet Elizabeth! It seems as if everyone is having spring except for US! NO! This can't be? It is as if we are stuck in a time/weather warp!

    Yum. You are enjoying yourself here and I hope that you will have TIME to sit down and enjoy more of the things you love. Happy Monday my dear friend! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are cruel. This looks like my favorite kind of cake, gooey, heavy, moist and dense. Yum, I can almost taste it now.....being on a diet I have to admire this one from afar:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That coffee cake looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks soooo good! I'm definitely gonna try this! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds and looks delicious! I hope spring comes your way soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, We are covered in a yellow/green film as well. Although I love the blooms and the temperate weather, my allergies will be keeping me in for most of the next two weeks. The coffee cake looks like the perfect treat for a good friend of mine in need of a bit of cheer. Anything with cream cheese is a favorite of mine. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I hope you try this recipe! IT is scrumptious and I think your friend will love it.

      Delete
  7. Yummy Elizabeth! Cream cheese on anything works for me. I like that you spiced it up a bit! Our weather is all over the map. It was 35 degrees this morning and looking like rain was in the forecast. NOW the sun is trying to make an appearance.. Perhaps if I take off the boots and wear an open toed shoe mother nature will get the hint?

    I'll look forward to checking out the blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...