Friday, April 5, 2013

The Thomas Jefferson Memorial

Good morning Friday! Hello weekend! To say that I am ready for the the weekend would be a huge understatement. I have been longing for a little downtime, a weekend at home and a stack of books and a cup of cocoa. Life has been keeping me entirely too busy for the last few months. 



I know that in recent months I have posted my favorite blog links on Fridays but I wanted to post a few more sights from my trip to Washington D.C. I hope you do not mind.


I took over 500 photos while on the trip and saw so many things that I want to share them with you, especially as many have commented that they have never been to visit this wonderful city. 


Today I want to share the Thomas Jefferson Memorial. Jefferson for those of you who did not pay attention in history class was a true Renaissance Man. 



He was the third President of the United States, the Drafter of the Declaration of Independence, Founding Father of the USA, Advisor of the Constitution, Founder of the University of Virginia, an architect, musician, inventor, scientist and so much more. 



The memorial, designed by Russell Pope is modeled after the Pantheon in Rome and represents Jefferson's own taste in Neo-Classical architecture. 



It is located along the Tidal Basin on the Mall and is one of the most impressive monuments in D.C. especially during the Cherry Blossom Festival. 



 Inside is located a 19 foot tall bronze statue of Jefferson, weighing five tons, designed by Rudolph Evans. The statue is surrounded by 5 quotations of Jefferson's writings and looks out through the columns to the White House. 



Have you visited the Jefferson Memorial? Are you an admirer of Jefferson?


If so and you would like to learn more about him and his life, please visit The Thomas Jefferson Hour, where you can download pod casts recorded by Clay Jenkins. Or visit Jefferson's home, Monticello where you can explore the house, gardens, learn more about Thomas Jefferson's day to day living and more. 

Have a great day! Enjoy your weekend!

Linking to:
Common Ground

5 comments:

  1. I'd love to visit! Seems like a perfect way to spend an afternoon. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your DC pictures! But have to admit that I haven't been reading a lot of posts lately... busy few weeks. But plan to go back and read up on what I've missed. Have been to DC twice... once on a Senior Class trip in high school and again once with DH on business. DH enjoyed the history, I enjoyed the science... especially the Smithsonian. But I agree with you, busy is great, but sounds like you need a little 'down-time'. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely must see DC. I've never seen inside the Jefferson Memorial before in pics. Just distant images. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always feel such a pride for our Country when I'm in Washington, and never tire of visiting all of the monuments, Smithsonian, etc. We visited Monticello and it's stunning...amazing architecture. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visited Monticello but have only been to Washington once, many years ago. I need to go back and do a thorough tour of all the sights. Wonderful photos and post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...