Monday, May 13, 2013

The Ultimate Crumb Coffee Cake

Good morning! I hope that your weekend and your Mother's Day was relaxing and filled with family. My weekend was very nice; time with my husband and pup reading and leisurely time listening to the rain.



I am getting ready for visitors in a few weeks and am looking for new recipes. One of the things I  like to make is coffee cake. I want something that is delicious, easy and of course has a buttery crumb topping. 




As with most of the recipes I find lately this one came from Pinterest.  The Ultimate Crumb Lovers Coffee Cake is moist, spicy, and has a crunchy, buttery crumb topping. 


Ultimate Crumb Lovers Coffee Cake
Recipe from Big Oven

Ingredients

4 cups of flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup of sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons of cinnamon
2 sticks chilled unsalted butter
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup of buttermilk
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla


1. Preheat over to 350. Prepare a 9 x 13 inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Cube butter and add to flour and salt. Mix with a pastry blender until you have incorporated the butter and have medium to fine crumbs.
3. Add brown sugar and white sugar and cinnamon and mix well.
4. Take 4 cups of the flour mixture and place in a separate bowl. Add the melted butter to the separated flour mixture and mix to form crumb topping.
5. To the remaining flour mixture, add the ginger, nutmeg, cloves, then add the buttermilk and egg. Beat with an electric mixer until batter is smooth. The batter will be thick.
6. Spread batter into prepared pan and then sprinkle with crumbs.
7. Bake 40-45 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
9. Cool completely on wire rack.




I know that many of you are dieting but make sure to "bookmark" this recipe for a later date, it is scrumptious and I think will become a favorite. 

16 comments:

  1. Hello Elizabeth

    This looks delicious and I love the setting of the blue and white china and berries

    Hope your week is very special

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen! I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  2. I can just imagine the wonderful smell through out the house, I love the smell of spices baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This cake is scrumptious! And it does smell fabulous as its coking!

      Delete
  3. Good morning sweet Elizabeth! Now this is a lovely weekend. I too spent it with my husband, perusing the garden shops and coming home with herbs for my pots. We then hauled a granite table out to the yard and it is HEAVEN on earth for me! Today is a decent day so I'm going out there to plant! Enjoy your day; I hope it's warm out your way! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, I was so hoping that you were not going to get any more bad weather this weekend! I would love to see photos of your garden so you must share!

      Have a great week my dear! xox Elizabeth

      Delete
  4. Good Morning Elizabeth:) Your coffee cake looks delicious and sounds so good on the overcast-rainy Seattle morning. I've got 5 birthdays and my daughters graduation coming up in June...... so I will need LOTS of these kinds of recipes for house guests.

    xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie, than this cake might be just the thing! I have TONS of recipes, cakes and sweets are my specialty.

      Have a great week!

      Delete
  5. That looks scrumptious Elizabeth!!! I really wish I wasn't watching my sugar - I love, love, love to bake and could go for something like this right now! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, save this recipe to share when your kids are home.

      Delete
  6. Coffee cake is one of my very favorite things to make. Yours looks delicious! Have a wonderful week, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday, this cake is delicious! It might be my new favorite! I hope you try it! Have a great week!

      Delete
  7. You can't go wrong with coffee cake for guests. This one looks like a real tasty one. I think I'll give it a try (and add a few pecans of course!). Thank you for sharing with us.
    New follower,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have pinned this and following you on Pinterest. Love to pin. This cake looks so good, and I love baking with buttermilk thank you Andi thewednesdaybaker

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your coffee cake looks delicious and sounds good . The flavor is one of my favorite I love to eat coffee cake any time .

    Kopi Luwak

    Thanks
    Finn Felton
    .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...