Good Morning! Did you enjoy your weekend? I did, but then I rarely do not.
Just curious did you have time to visit all of the links from Anita at Castles Crowns and Cottages French party? If not the party is all week and all of the posts are beautiful, insightful and offer a glimpse of many wonderful parts of France, not just Paris. I am still working my way through them all but have discovered so many "new to me" blogs that I find myself getting distracted by not just one post but by them all.
In between reading blogs and dodging rain drops I tried a few new recipes this weekend. As you can see from the photos I made ice cream, I am experimenting so I can offer my summer guests something besides the things I like.
I made Trader Joe Joe's Chocolate Vanilla Bean Cookie Ice Cream, otherwise known as "Cookies and Cream" ice cream and I must admit that it was delicious.
The recipe is very simple and can be made with or without an ice cream machine.
Trader Joe Joe's Chocolate Vanilla Bean Cookie Ice Cream
Recipe adapted from Lou Seibert Pappas Ice Creams & Sorbets
* 2 cups half and half or whole milk
*4 lg egg yolks
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 cup heavy whipping cream
*2 tsp. Vanilla Bean Extract
*6-10 Trader Joe Joe's Chocolate Vanilla Bean Cookies crushed
NOTE: 1 day ahead, place ice cream maker bowl into freezer, mine must be frozen for 24 hours
* Prepare a bowl of ice water, set aside.
* In the top of a double boiler, or a bowl placed over a pan of simmering water, heat the half and half until just steaming
* In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks, then add the sugar and mix.
* Add 1/2 of the half and half to the egg yolk, sugar mixture, mix. Add to the steaming half and half. * Stir and cook over simmering water for about 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
* Immediately place bowl into ice bath, stir occasionally until mixture is at room temperature.
* Transfer to a Tupperware container, add cream and extract, refrigerate about 3 hours.
* place mixture into ice cream maker bowl, turn on machine and let the magic begin!
* My Cuisinart takes about 20 minutes for soft serve. ALL machines work differently, please follow the directions of your machine.
** NOTE: If you are not using a machine pour the mixture into a Tupperware container and freeze until desired consistency.
Are you an ice cream fan? Do you make your own? What is your favorite flavor and do you have a recipe if you make your own?
I hope that you have a wonderful week. I think the week is going to go very quickly for some as it is a holiday weekend coming up.