Thursday, May 16, 2013

Water Water Everywhere: Art and Memories



Water, water everywhere. I love water and have lived by it my entire life. Lake Michigan, the Atlantic Ocean  and the Pacific were my playground. Picnics on the seashore of the Lake with my siblings and mother every day until the sun went down. Sandcastles,   buckets and shovels the tools to "dig to china" or a dream house.

Freeing jelly fish washed upon the rock after a day at the movies. Walks with my husband and pup to watch the dolphins frolic and to pick up treasures that washed up on the tides.

Solace to think and take in the beauty of a sunny day. The sand between my toes, the salt on my skin and the sound of the water and waves. 



" The cure for anything is salt water-sweat, tears or the sea."
~Isak Dinesen~


Not only have I always been drawn to water; I have been drawn to waves, and water in art. 




"Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind."
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow~




And to shells, little treasures from trips and travels the world over. Each time I see them I am reminded of family and friends. 




"You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find the eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island and look toward another land. There is no other land, there is no other life but this."
~Henry David Thoreau~




Do you like the water? Do you find solace at the sea shore?




"You can't stop the waves but you can learn to surf."
~Jon Kabat Zinn~



What kind of art do you collect? 


"Wherever people go to find peace-that's what I find in the ocean."
~Willow Aster~



Where do you find solace from life? At the waters edge? In the forest? On a walk?





"One cannot collect all the beautiful shells on the beach. One can only collect a few and they are more beautiful if they are few."
~Anne Morrow Lindbergh~



I hope that you have a wonderful day and find the time to enjoy the beauty of nature.


13 comments:

  1. Lovely post Elizabeth..
    The sea..the beautiful sea was the subject of many a painting for me, it was the one thing I felt I could paint fairly easily..how wrong I was. There is so much emotion in the colour, waves, sounds and taste...it pulls at the heart, just as it has done for you in this post. I decided we each have our own ocean within us..and when that thought settled in, I painted. Thanks for the memories.. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne,

      I would love to see more of your work! I remember once you posted something you painted and it was beautiful. Water offers solace, comfort, beauty and more. I never thought of having an ocean within, that is a beautiful.

      Have a beautiful weekend JEanne!

      Delete
  2. Do you know that I dream water at least five days out of seven? Water is in my dreams in some capacity, but usually, I am walking or driving right on the edge of a great body of water or skimming the surface of an ocean or maybe in a boat. But water is important to me as well and I have TWO beautiful paintings of water in my home, both of them done by dear blogging sisters. They both bring so much joy to me as I often take time to just sit and enjoy these two pieces.

    Enjoy your day my friend, and SEE YOU TOMORROW IN FRANCE! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita,

      Thank you for visiting my dear. I would love to see your water paintings!

      Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful post Elizabeth! I find my solace in the forest but that's because I need things to stop moving with a busy life. But I'll still go to the waters edge everytime I get the chance.

    XXX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, So nice to see you back! I have missed you. I too love the forests and wish I lived nearer to one. Perhaps when we retire. I hope you have a fabulous week.

      Delete
  4. I am with you Elizabeth, water absolutely calms me, and I am definitely drawn to it, and my most relaxed when by the water. Beautiful water inspired art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, water is so calming and is relaxing to be around. I think you mentioned that you were going to be building a beach house? Looking forward to all of your projects.

      Delete
  5. I love being by the ocean and have always lived on a coastline but never directly on the water. That would be my dream. The perfect "art" would be the ocean outside my window!

    Have a beautiful day, Elizabeth! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, water is so soothing and I could not agree more, living on the water would be a dream.

      Delete
  6. I am pisces and love the water. Water to drink, water in my tub, watering the plants and I do love clear glass and cool colors. I have to take inventory and look into adding some more H2O inspired artwork.
    Love all those blues.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, I would love to see some of your water inspired works. I will be keeping an eye out for them! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  7. It's been a long while since I've been at a sea shore... out in the Maritime provinces. Earlier in the month I found myself staring out at Lake Ontario while on a train for home. It'd been quite awhile since I'd been on a lakeshore that I couldn't see the other side.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...