Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A Few Little Nuns that I Found in My Travels

Good morning! I am slowly getting back into my routine, although I am still a little tired and feeling a little blue. I miss being with my sister and niece everyday and after a week I was getting use to seeing them at breakfast every morning and planning our adventures. 


One of the things that we like to do is visit antique stores. This time was no different and as I mentioned yesterday we found a lot of things, OK I found a lot of things, they found a few. This little painting is my favorite find from our travels. 



I have become very nostalgic as I age and often find myself drawn to items that remind me of people and places from my past. 

This painting was hanging on the wall of a nasty little out building.  I had to wade through boxes of junk and ended up covered in cobwebs but I finally reached it. Although it was the church that "spoke" to me it is the little nuns that I fell in love with.



I have a fondness for nuns as they were a hug part of my childhood. I come from a long line of Catholics, and nuns were a part of my everyday life from the time I was born until I graduated from the all-girls high school I attended. Not to mention that my grandmothers twin sister was a School Sister of Notre Dame nun, she entered the convent at 16, and her stories and travels kept us entertained many an evening.



When I was a child I was always curious to see if she had hair under habit or if they made her shave it off when she entered the convent. For the record, she did have hair but I never did gather the courage to ask to try on her headgear. 



What "calls" you when you are out on your travels? Books, art, Ironstone, maps, blue and white porcelain, transfer ware, linens? 

Do you find yourself collecting different things as you age? Or is that just something I do?




What have you found recently on your travels? Leave me a link, I would love to see your collections and finds! 

I hope that you have a wonderful day!

6 comments:

  1. OH Elizabeth, I love this painting! Is it oil, acrylic????? I too was brought up Catholic, and always wanted to attend Catholic school because even back then, I WANTED STRUCTURE! But I fell in love with the whole idea of living in a Catholic school when I first read and saw MADELINE and the sweet illustrations. To this day, I am still very fond of that innocent illustrative style, a very structured learning environment, and little nuns. LOVE THIS PAINTING! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Elizabeth:) These are some unique and I do believe the best finds are always the hidden ones. I seldom see nuns anymore. Perhaps they are around but don't wear the traditional uniform any longer. I actually went to a Catholic school for a few years when I was a little girl. I've got some fun memories of that experience:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty!! Love the charm of the three little nuns:) Hope you have a lovely evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful painting, Elizabeth, and I love that finding this special piece can remind you of your trip and childhood...a win/win in my book!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth, So good to hear you had a wonderful visit with your family. I adore the painting you found. The simplicity of the work is lovely. I hope you are having a wonderful week. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...