Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Back to School Musings and Udacity, Coursera, Edx


Good morning! I do not know about your area but in mine the kids are slowly starting back to school, this morning I noticed many new and eager faces waiting at the bus stop.


I have to be honest I hated going back to school after a nice long summer holiday. Not because I did not like my tartan wool uniform on still 80 degree days, or because I did not want to see my friends but simply because now my time was no longer my own. There would be no more waking up after 8:00, or spending long, lazy days at the library or frolicking at the lake or staying up to the wee hours of the morning with a good book. 


Typically though once I was back in my routine I did enjoy it. I have fond memories of my time at both Catholic grade school and high school and feel as if I was given a strong foundation to go out into the world. I am not so sure however if my strict Catholic schooling prepared me socially but that is a story for another day. 



What was your favorite subject(s)? I loved history, literature and social studies. Math, logic and science were not too high on my list though. I simply did not get the same enjoyment from dissecting a piglet or a cat as I did from reading Shakespeare or learning about the romance and beauty of Marie Antoinette. 




Are you preparing your kids or yourself to go back to school? Are you looking forward to it? Or could you uses a few more carefree weeks of summer?

If you would like to go back to school you could take a few free classes from leading professors and Universities around the world at: UdacityCoursera or Edx. Each offers an array of interesting classes from The History of Chinese Architecture, to Poetry of New England, to Introduction to Solid State Chemistry and more. The list of classes are diverse, interesting and endless. 

I already signed up for a few classes myself. After all one is never to old to learn something new.

I hope that you have a great day!

8 comments:

  1. Good morning dear girl! Well, it's back to school for me TODAY as I go meet with colleagues to discuss French curriculum! My favorite subjects in school? FRENCH, HISTORY, ENGLISH, SCIENCE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Elizabeth,
    I loved school and went at a very early age, another story and you have given me an idea for a post. I loved math, gaelic (my native language) and geography. We moved a lot and I went to several schools without a concern as I always felt there would be at least one nice person in my class (my grand-mother told me this). She was right of course.
    Like you, I am a life-long learner and take courses yearly
    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The online classes look interesting...I always talk about signing up but never seem to find the time. Maybe this year...

    Back to school doesn't happen here until after Labor Day...thank goodness!

    Enjoy your day, Elizabeth! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, I love everything about today's post. As a student I always found the beginning of school an exciting time. Living in a rural area school was my social outlet. The only subject I didn't connect with was math. Love the pictures...the composition books are fabulous. Have a wonderful Wednesday. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning, Elizabeth!
    I LOVE the smell of sharpening new pencils and new book leaves in the Fall! My favorite subjects? Art...literature...and French!
    Enjoy your day!
    w/L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the notion of taking a poetry course on line! I've just dropped my son off at college last weekend. My daughter will be back to school in a couple of weeks. I personally prefer the unstructured long and lazy summer days. I hate the thought of having to wake up at 7:00 everyday again. OH well, I do love the smells of autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy when I was in school, I might have been more excited if there were such cute school supplies:) It does seem strange going back with it feeling so summer like. My son doesn't go back for another week and a half but its soooo hard to believe summer is nearly over. Bittersweet for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here the schools don't start up until after Labour Day.

    Some things do just require cake!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...