Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Berry Jams



Good morning! After my weekend trip to the farmers market, I have been thinking about the bounty of  fruits and vegetables and what I could do to preserve a little bit of summer even as the weather cools and signs of Fall appear.

One thing that came to mind was jams and jellies. Have you ever made jams or jellies? I was on the sidelines for years watching my grandmother but have yet to take the plunge and do it myself. A little research led me to these two recipes from  Martha Stewart, and as they are very simple and easy, I think they are perfect recipes for my first try. 


Strawberry Jam

Strawberry Jam
Recipe from Martha Stewart

1 quart hulled strawberries
1/2 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice

Directions:

In a food processor, process the berries until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a a large skillet and add sugar and lemon juice. Stir until incorporated. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until the mixture is thickened and bubbles cover the entire surface. This should take about 10 minutes. Transfer to a jar and let cool at room temperature. Refrigerate for up to ten 10 days. 




Blueberry Jam
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart

21/2 cups of blueberries
1 cup of sugar 
11/12 tsp. of lemon juice
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. of lemon zest divided 

Place a small bread plate in the freezer. 
Stir together the sugar, blueberries, lemon juice, salt and half of the lemon zest in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Stir mixture often so that the sugar dissolves. Mash the berries slightly with a potato masher.
As the mixture cooks, skim off the foam that forms with a spoon and discard. Continue to cook  and stir until the mixture thickens. This can take anywhere from 10-16  minutes. Once mixture is thickened remove from heat. 
Take plate from freezer and drop a little jam on it,  return plate to freezer and after a few minutes test with your finger tip to see if  the mixture holds its shape. If the mixture does not hold its shape than return the jam pot to the stove and cook for a couple of minutes more. Then test again. Continue to do this until the mixture is set. 

When mixture is finally set, pour into glass jars and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

Image Martha Stewart


What do you think? Do you make jam or jelly already? Is your recipe similar or do you make something more complicated? Do you have a family recipe that you follow?

I will be making these this afternoon so I will let you know how they turn out. 

I hope that you have a fabulous day!




9 comments:

  1. Lot's of "yumminess" is happening in your kitchen!
    I plan to pick up some blackberries and hopefully some raspberries at the farmers market this coming weekend! Not quite sure which recipe I will be using. I have an old book that belonged to my grandmother.
    Thanks for sharing!
    w/L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every summer making jam is on my list...and I have yet to do it! These recipes do look simple, I'll be interested to see how yours turns out, good luck! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love that gray-blue hue of the blueberry? I just had some in my yogurt this morning and their sweetness is unmatched. HI ELIZABETH! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, I began experimenting making preserves and jams three years and am helplessly addicted. My only problem is I can't keep them to enjoy through the winter as I am an hopeless sharer. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How inspiring....I've never made jam before, but I really want to learn how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I love jam and a little butter on a freshly toasted slice of bread or biscuit:) Your recipe looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello there sweet one! Thanks for coming by! I hope your summer is cooling down? We have been really lucky this year with only about 2 really hot days. The rest has been gorgeous or rainy! Have a good one, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elizabeth...these looks fantastic, especially the strawberry one. I think I need to try it! Thanks for sharing and have a beautiful day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...