Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Blueberry Cheesecake Bars


Good Monday morning! I hope that you had a great weekend! Mine was a mixture of a little work, a little fun and a lot of grey weather. Thankfully not the rain that they predicted. Between the rain, the fires and the flooding and the scorching heat this has been a crazy summer for many weather wise. 



As I typically do on the weekend, I test out new recipes and this weekend was no exception. In fact I made one of the most delicious desserts and now my current new favorite. I personally love cheesecakes but sometimes do not want the hassle of a spring-form pan, a water bath and all of the rest. This was one of those times, so  I decided to make a bar recipe as they are quick and easy. In addition I wanted to use up a batch of blueberries and some leftover crumbled topping from a coffeecake that I will share with you later. The combination of all three is so good. The buttery topping compliments the creamy cheesecake and the tart berries and lemon are refreshing, especially on a summer day. 



Blueberry Cheesecake Bars with Crumb Topping
Recipe Adapted from Tyler Florence Food Network

Filling:
16 oz. cream cheese, ROOM TEMPERATURE
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, ROOM TEMPERATURE
2 lemons zested and juiced
1 tablespoon Nielsen-Massey vanilla extract


Blueberries:

2 teaspoon sugar

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 cup fresh blueberries



Graham cracker/Cookie crust:


2 tablespoons of sugar
dash of cinnamon
10 graham crackers
1/2 stick butter melted


Topping:

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon

7 tablespoons of cold butter



DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 9 X 9 square baking pan with parchment paper, this will allow for easy removal and cutting.

2. In a medium size mixing bowl combine crust ingredients, then spread into the pan. Use the back of a cup to press crumbs evenly. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.

3. In a small mixing bowl, combine all blueberry ingredients, mix gently and set aside. 
4. In a medium size mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for topping. Cut the butter in with a pastry blender, fork or hands until the mixture resembles small crumbs. Set this aside. 
5. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together ROOM TEMPERATURE cream cheese, and sugar until smooth.  Then add vanilla and eggs one at a time. Mix until incorporated.
6. Pour the cheesecake batter over the baked and cooled crust. Spread evenly with a spatula. Spread blueberry mixture over top, evenly covering the cheesecake. Add crumb topping and spread so mixture is even. 
6. Bake for 435-40 minutes or until the cheesecake is slightly jiggly and the crumble is golden brown. Cool to room temperature then refrigerator at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.  Remove bars from pan then cut, serve and enjoy!

NOTE: I used a combination of sugar cookies and graham crackers for my crust. Also for this recipe I made a half a batch in a smaller pan. That is why my bars seem thin. Also, I made two cheesecakes, the first using this recipe, the second one I used my Blueberry Compote Recipe and it was excellent too!



Do tell, what did you make, read, bake or cook this weekend? I am all ears and would love to hear!

I hope that you have a fabulous day!

Linking to:
Savvy Southern Style
I Should be Mopping Up the Floors

14 comments:

  1. And a happy (early) Monday to you too, dear Elizabeth!! These look amazing...I love the combination of blueberries and lemon...

    We are having hot days again, but there has been a strong breeze...
    Enjoyed a lovely Japanese Festival on Sunday...will post on it very soon...

    I wish your a great week, my friend, and I am off to catch up on your posts...
    Hugs,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning beautiful! Blueberries are FOREVER! No matter where you put them, they are the best.

    Enjoy your Monday! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always your baking creation looks divine. I am buried under school preparations at present. I am hoping to be finished in time to have a relaxing few days before the actual first day of school. Have a marvelous Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look SO good, Elizabeth! I bought a huge container of blueberries so I will definitely try them.

    Enjoy your day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. My mouth is watering. I just downloaded this recipe and as soon as life gets back to normal I'm making these! Thanks for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am soooooo making this for my friends. i will have to share it since it sounds fattening, but oooh la la, what a treat!

    have a lovely week.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I seriously want those! We just finished dinner, and I'm now catching up on my favorite blog reads. Was going to skip dessert tonight. Now I need to run out and find something sweet!!
    x Loi

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS - I had the best blueberries in Maine this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look amazing! This weekend I made a zucchini soup and bruschetta. I realize what was missing...dessert! Thanks for another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is downright mean. OMG this is sooooooo up my alley, I may just have to oblige and make these. Plus I know my kids would love them you know thats the ONLY reason I would be making them (wink).....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm these bars look wonderful! I've been wanting to make some cheesecake bars too, I just couldn't decide what kind! These blueberry ones sound so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made these DELICIOUS Blueberry Cheesecake Bars Yesterday with one twist on it. I used fresh Key limes instead of Lemons, OMG ....YUMMY !!! Sweet/ tart was great!!! THANK YOU FOR THIS RECIPE!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, what a great idea! I have to try it with key limes the next time I make them! It is one of my favorites. Thanks for the tip and I am happy that you liked the bars.

      Delete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...