Monday, August 26, 2013

Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Bars with Sea Salt

Good morning! How was your weekend? Is it starting to feel a little like Fall in your area? Leaves are falling here, the squirrels are working overtime collecting nuts, and it is getting dark before nine.


I am breaking out my cashmere robe and sweaters and assembling my lists of Fall wardrobe "must haves".  I cannot wait for the "nesting" to begin. Yes it is a wee bit premature as today was in the 80's again but I can feel the change coming.



I know that there are many of you who feel exactly as I do so and my guess it that you are doing the same that I am, not to mention thinking about the holidays too. I laugh to myself each time I am on Pinterest because the majority of the pins are for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas decorating and treats. Summer seems to be a distant memory for some. Does returning to school signal the end of summer?



Speaking of treats, I made some traditional treats with a twist this weekend. Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Bars Sprinkled with Sea Salt are similar to "Blondie's" and Congo Bars but different. They are filled with dark chocolate chunks, taste sweet and buttery, and are moist and chewy. Frankly they are almost too sweet without the salt sprinkled on top. I recommend eating them warm from the oven. 



Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Bars Sprinkled with Sea Salt

Recipe from Week Of Menu's

Ingredients:

1 cup of unsalted butter, cut into pieces
21/2 cups of brown sugar
2 large eggs
21/2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup 60% Dark chocolate chips
1 cup of semi-sweet chips

1 tablespoon sea salt

Directions:

Place butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Melt butter, after a few minutes the butter will start to foam. WATCH the butter and stir with a whisk to keep from burning. You want brown bits to form on the bottom of the pan. Once butter is browned, and smells nutty remove from heat. Be careful not to burn the butter, it is easy to do. Set aside to cool.

Preheat oven to 375, and prepare a 13x8 half sheet cake pan with cooking spray, set aside. In a medium bowl beat brown sugar and butter until mixed well, add eggs and beat until creamy. In a separate bowl combine flower and baking soda. Then pour flour mixture into sugar mixture and beat until combines. Add chocolate chips and stir by hand. Pour mixture into the prepared pan, mixture will be thick so use a spatula or hands to spread around in the pan. 
Sprinkle the entire pan lightly with the sea salt.

Bake for 18-25 minutes or until light brown. 

Remove from oven, cool on a rack, then cut and serve. 



What did you do this weekend? Have you read any new books? Any movies to recommend? Let me know, I am always looking for something new.

I hope that you have a fabulous week!

Linking to:
Savvy Southern Style
I Should Be Mopping the Floors

13 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, I am loving the combination with a touch of sea salt. I recently ordered a sticky toffee pudding with sea salt and it was out of this world. Very dangerous on the waist line! I saw a few movies on the return flight from the USA...I think '42' was my favourite. Best wishes for a wonderful week and am glad the package made it to you. I forgot to mention the brown crisps are best with a soft cheese with lots of flavour...they are 'yum' together! Enjoy...xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bars look very yummy, Elizabeth!
    No books or movies this past weekend!
    Mostly family time!
    Have a great week!
    w/L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning dear heart! No, here, it's HOT HOT HOT! We are so behind on this summer thing.....

    Much love. Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently ate a salted caramel slice and loved it, I will bake this recipe, thankyou. We down south (Australia) are noticing a change in the weather, the days are a few degrees warmer, I can't wait to get out into my garden again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO glad I am not your neighbor I would be 300 pounds....these look sooooo good! Saw Jobs which I thought was fair and Little White Lies (French film, all star cast and fantastic! I recommend it..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, I am ready, but Mother Nature has another notion. We will hit triple digits this week for only the second time this summer. We had such a mild summer, I knew there had to be a price. I can still dream. Oh well.. it is what it is. Enjoy planning for autumn. Hugs! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning Elizabeth...these look absolutely divine! But, after all my eating last week, I am laying off the sugar for a while! Enjoy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, have you been baking some delicious treats? Do share the recipes!

      How was the chocolate tour?

      Delete
  8. That looks so decadent! And just too yummy, Elizabeth. Life is short, and I'll have dessert first!! :)
    xo
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so good Elizabeth. The salt is the magic ingredient here:) My favorite treat is a salted caramel and chocolate .. Yummy!

    The evenings are getting darker again and the temps are going down, so we are just starting to feel the seasonal change here in the PNW. It rained a little today thankfully, as our streams need water for the salmon. Once the winter starts it will snow and rain for months so I'm not anxious.. it will come:)

    Happy Monday! xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my oh my!!! Printing this one out....mmmmm!!

    Yes, my dear, for me the start of school means the start of Fall...(even though it's 97 degrees out there!)
    I am excited for the leaf change....looks like yours is beginning now!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to try these beauties!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...