Monday, September 9, 2013

Vanilla Bean Rice Pudding with Raspberry Compote


Good morning! How was your weekend? Mine was busy. I felt as if I never stopped running around with no time to eat or drink. Then yesterday I did not eat all day and finally ordered a pizza and ate 41/2 pieces! I think I left the other half a piece because I did not want to feel like a total glutton. Does anyone else ever do that?


Thankfully I ate so much pizza I had no room for this scrumptious rice pudding! OK, I did have room to try a bite or two but then gave the rest to my husband. 


I do not know about you but whenever I make rice I always make too much, and then it sits around until I throw it away. So this week, instead of throwing it out I thought I would make rice pudding and then add a little raspberry compote to accompany it.

The recipe could not be any easier, a few ingredients and one pot. 

Vanilla Bean Rice Pudding

Ingredients:

2 cups of cooked rice
2 cups of milk
2 cups of heavy cream
1/3 cup of white sugar
1 Tablespoon of Nielsen-Massey vanilla bean paste

In a medium sauce pan combine all ingredients and stir, then simmer over low heat for about 35-45 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone and rice is the creamy consistency that you like.

Raspberry Compote

1 pint of raspberries
4 tablespoons of sugar
3/4 cup of water

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan and let come to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until a nice syrup forms. Pour over rice and enjoy!




This rice pudding is rich, creamy and filled with vanilla beans. I recommend eating it warm with or without the compote, either way it is an easy and delicious way to use up leftovers and is a great dessert for a crowd or a nice comforting dessert on a Fall day. 




What did you do this weekend? Did you have nice Fall weather? It was in the 90's here and hot, the good news was that there was no humidity.

I hope that you have a beautiful day!

Linking to:
Savvy Southern Style
Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm 
Strut Your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters Stuff 
Homemaking Linkup at Hope In Every Season 
Rooted in Thyme Simple and Sweet Fridays

A Pinteresting Party  at Tutus & Tea Parties
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style 
The Best Blog Recipes link party 


11 comments:

  1. Good morning my dear! How do you do it? I could not run around as such, I need time to rest! I am however, very busy with my new job,speaking of which I better go and get ready for! Rice pudding is my favorite...my mom made the best! This looks like a great recipe, however, with all that vanilla, and yes, I've eaten an entire pizza all by myself!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum yum
    i adore great rice pudding and this looks better than
    'great' rice pudding.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum how wrong is it to be craving this at not even 8:30 in the morning!! Enjoy your day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious. Rice pudding is one of my favorites and the raspberry compote will be perfect with it. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a yummy way to start the week! I thought of you over the weekend, Elizabeth. We saw Austenland, and it was so cute and fun. I've been wanting to see it since you wrote about it. The setting was beautiful. Bye for now!
    Cheers,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  6. God this looks delicious and I'm not even a fan of rice pudding!....lol

    XXX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rice pudding looks delicious. Actually I had a bit of rice leftover from last evening's dinner, hum... Elizabeth, I have learned if I do not take lunch to school I will begin to eat as soon as I get home and not stop until I go to bed. It is as if I lose all will-power when I am hungry. Oh, pizza does sound good! Have a wonderful week. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother made this recipe before. It is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Elizabeth, this looks amazing! Thanks for another fabulous recipe! And I can't thank you enough for your comments on my last blog post ( the one on September). I feel the same about your blog -- I always come away with a smile on my face and hoping to meet you one day! If you are ever in Los Angeles...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum Elizabeth I love rice pudding (comfort food) however with this sauce it must be scrumptious!

    xoxo
    Karena
    2013 Artists Series

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful post (and yes - I DO know what you mean about the pizza!) This has reminded me that I haven't had rice pudding in months, which is an enormous shame, because it's one of my all-time favourite puddings, especially with a good compote. I feel inspired to make it tomorrow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...