Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Good morning! Can you believe that it is already October? Dare I say that soon it will be time to think about the turkey and the mistletoe? 

Image from Julep and The Edith Sanford Breast Cancer Foundation

As you know October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and is a cause that is very close to my heart. If you have read my blog for awhile than you may have seen mention that my mother had breast cancer when she was 36, my cousin had it at 35 and sadly passed at 39, her mother was diagnosed several years later and several of my grandmothers sisters passed from the same disease. 

Ladies CANCER is a scary and deadly disease but it can be detected early with monthly self breast exams and yearly mammograms. Yes, they are a little uncomfortable (not painful) but isn't a few minutes of discomfort worth a little peace of mind? 

I urge you to take care of your health as well as the health of your friends and family by encouraging them to get yearly mammograms.

If you would like more information please visit The Edith Sanford Breast Cancer Foundation to learn about the current research and tirals being done, to give a donation of to learn more about prevention.

In addition you can visit The American Cancer Society for new studies and information on all cancers.


I hope that you have a great day!

8 comments:

  1. My goodness, Elizabeth, I am sorry to hear how your family has suffered such great loss with this dreaded disease.
    I am a survivor, four years now.
    That's why I have my monthly pink post! The most amazing thing...although comments are few, my pink posts are my biggest viewed. I have encouraged a mammo or two for the past three years. Thanks for sharing the facts!
    w/L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post. I just pinned that chart, so informative! Yes agreed, the stats are startling and very real, a reminder to be vigilant!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The numbers are just too high. It is the scariest thing to get checked over, but once the good news reaches you that you're OK, it is so liberating. I pray you are well my dear. Have a super day! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an important post and I want to repost it on my blog. I too had breast cancer and six years after was tested for the BRCA gene which was positive. Coming from a large Irish family I only had one Aunt on my father's side who died from breast/ovarian cancer so they thought it not necessary to be tested. Having a pro-active double mastectomy and ovaries removed has given me peace of mind to live my life to the fullest. Not looking back and no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm startled seeing the ratio of deaths in women and men versus diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is always a good reminder. Our race for the cure is coming up. So many have been touched by breast cancer. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Elizabeth,
    Sorry to hear your family




    Hello Elizabeth,
    Your post is a good reminder. Sorry to hear your family have lost some to the disease. The mammogram machine certainly needs to advance. I recently had the pleasure or should I say the pain of one such test. Like you say it is important. Have a great week
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had an aunty who died at 23 from Breast Cancer and my cousin had it last year...it's defianlty not just older women who get it- it pays to be viligant x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...