Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Harvest Apple Pie from America's Best Harvest Pies Cookbook




Good morning!



Fall is a favorite season for many, not just because of the weather, the crisp air, or cozy weekends around the fireplace. But because of the opportunity to spend time with family and friends celebrating and eating! What could be better than a day in the kitchen with the kids making  pies? 




I was recently sent a copy of the book America's Best Harvest Pies by The American Pie Council and I have to to tell you that if you like prize winning pie than you are going to enjoy this book. Since 1995, amateurs and professional bakers across the country have competed in the National Pie Championships to determine the best pie maker in America.




This book is a collection of seventy of those prize winning pies, including apple, pumpkin, blueberry, peach, sweet potato and more. 



Divided into sections by harvest crop you will find not only classic recipes but unique twists on old favorites too. 



I decided to try my hand at an old fashioned apple pie. I am going to be honest here, this is my first apple pie; although I frequently make my grandmother's slab apple pie this is my first foray into making flaky pie crust.



Harvest Apple Pie

Adapted from:
Recipe by Lana Ross, Indianola, IA 2009 APC Crisco National Pie Championships 
Amateur Division, 1st Place, Apple

Ingredients:

Crust:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cups Crisco
6-8 tablespoons ice-cold water
2 teaspoons vinegar

Filling:

7 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup of flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
dash of nutmeg

Topping:

1 cup of flour
6 tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup brown sugar

Directions:

Crust:
Mix together the flour and the salt. In a separate bowl mix together the vinegar and the ice water. . Using two knives or a pastry blender, cut the Crisco into the flour mixture then gradually add the water until the dough comes together. Roll out the dough and place into your 9 or 10 inch pie pan, flute the edges. I used a tart pan because I like the look.

Preheat the oven to 350. In a bowl mix all of the filling ingredients and toss to coat the apples then place into the prepared crust. 

Topping:

Combine all of the ingredients and spread evenly on the pie. Bake at 350 for 70-80 minutes. Cool and then serve with ice cream or whipping cream. 

Note: This recipe calls for using half of the dough for the crust and half to make decorative cutouts to attach to the crust, I did not do that part. In addition, I always use more spices than called for and added the nutmeg. The original recipe also calls for a combination of apples I only had granny smith.


This is a delicious pie. The crust is flaky, the apples are moist but still firm, and the combination of the tart apples and the buttery crumble make this pie melt in your mouth. I loved it!

The cookbook is a wonderful addition to any collection and even better it is a cookbook that you will turn to again and again when baking pies. 




I hope that you have a fabulous day!

Notes: I was given a copy of Harvest Pies, all opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any way for this post.

Linking to:

Between Naps on the Porch
DIY By Design
Savvy Southern Style

8 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, this looks delicious! I love making pies and mastering pie crusts was a wonderful accomplishment. I had always been intimidated by them. Your pie turned out great. Thanks for another wonderful recipe. Cooking and baking in fall is my favorite part of the season! xx Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a picture to wake up to! You are so talking my language:) I love how you used a quiche pan to make that gorgeous crust...I can almost taste its buttery goodness now!! Nothing says fall quite like homemade apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth! Your pie turned out beautiful! Your Fall recipes have been so inspiring!
    My copy of Lick the Bowl shipped yesterday!
    w/L

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love a good apple pie and this looks delicious - warm with vanilla ice cream and I'm in heaven...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aside from pecan pies- I have an aversion to the taste of pecans- I've always liked pies. So many choices, so very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious Elizabeth and I can imagine the how this smelled while baking. Looks like a wonderful recipe and must have cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great looking apple pie. Lovely presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicious looking pie! And, the presentation is stunning. Thank you for sharing. Feel free to pop on over to my Make it Pretty party which goes live tonight at 8:00PM CST and share this wonderful post. Here is the link to last week's bash if you want to check it out. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/11/make-it-pretty-monday-week-156.html Hope to see you tonight. Have a wonderful week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...