Thursday, October 24, 2013

Lick the Bowl Good by Monica Holland

Good morning! The last few days have been all about food and cookbooks and today is going to be no different. I have been sent several cookbooks recently and I really want to share them all with you! I only write about things I love, and cookbooks are one of my favorite things.


I wonder though, do you have the same problem as I do.  I am often taken in by one or two recipes and a whole lot of fabulous photos. But then after getting the book home I realize that the book is filled with many things I do not like or eat, or the recipes are way too complicated and call for many ingredients that I don't want to bother with. 



Lick the Bowl Good is not one of those books, I promise you that you will want to make everything in it. The classic home-style desserts are the kind that you might remember your mom making; chocolate cake, pound cake, brownies,  and sugar cookies to name but a few recipes that you will find in this book.




 Written by Monica Holland, a fellow blogger, Lick the Bowl Good is filled with over 60 sweet treats to share with your family and friends, or just to keep for yourself if you like. Each carefully tested and beautifully photographed dessert will have you itching to pull out your baking pans the minute you open the book.




As you can see I marked a few of the pages that I like and am going to make. As a matter of fact since I received the book I have baked several tasty treats.




 Including, Lick the Bowl Brownies, Creamy Rice Pudding, Nutella Panna Cotta, 

Lick the Bowl Brownies

Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake and the Pumpkin Bundt Cake with Browned Butter Glaze.




When you make the Pumpkin Bundt cake, notice I said when not if, be sure to make an extra batch of the Browned Butter Glaze, you will lap it up it is so good. Try not to be impatient like me, I "melted" my glaze a bit so that I could get it to pour over the cake and frankly it poured right over and pooled at the bottom.


What Pumpkin Cake with Browned Butter Glaze should look like. 

It is actually supposed to look like the cake above. No matter, the cake and the glaze as with everything that I have made and shared is easy, delicious and just like the recipes both my grandmother and mother made for me when I was young. 




This cookbook is a wonderful gift for beginners or experienced bakers and I think would make a great Christmas present. In fact I have already ordered a few for friends.

Do you know of  Monica and her blog Lick the Bowl Good? If not be sure to pop over and check out her recipes, not only from her own book but from baking clubs that she regularly participates in.

Have a great day!


NOTE: I was given a copy of the book Lick the Bowl Good by Skyhorse Publishing. I was not compensated in anyway, my opinions are my own. 

13 comments:

  1. Oh my, CREAMY RICE PUDDING? I must try my hand at this, because my mom used to make the best. But I haven't tried any of the recipes my mother used to make because it's never the same...but this is such great weather to try. What a glorious book my friend! Have fun baking! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the name! With a title like that you know it has to be good. I have a good friends bday in Nov. who is a serious baker, I will have to get her this book. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Already have my copy thanks to you! It's a goodie! I hope to try a recipe this weekend!
    w/L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks perfect for the holidays Elizabeth! Catchy title:) and I'd agree that so many cookbooks come home and, after reviewing the photos .. I don't refer to them often because the recipes are too extensive or the ingredients are not common. Thank you for the review and the photos are lovely! Enjoy your day:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sipping on my cinnamon hot chocolate and thinking of you, dear Elizabeth!
    This cookbook looks so tempting...you are amazing, baking so many delights...
    I can only imagine what it would be like if we pooled all of our cookbooks together, and had a weekend of trying new recipes....you could bake, and I would cook....maybe someday? ;)
    Love to you,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it's confirmed... I've died and gone to heaven, just looking at those!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elizabeth!
    Thanks for reviewing this lovely book.
    The photos certainly make ME want to run out right now and purchase a copy!
    I have so many book that I love but seem to use them less and less with the ease of Pinterest and Epicurious at my fingertips. I doubt that I will ever get rid
    of the cookbooks I have, but the internet sure has made it easy for us!

    Great post!
    xoxox
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth what a terrific post!!! My future daughter in law loves to make wonderful sweet treats I can't wait to share this w her. Have a wonderful week

    xoxo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like MY kind of book!!! Yum!

    Have a wonderful day, Elizabeth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum.............
    i am a sweets freak.
    i would love to try the brownies.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh delish beyond and what beautiful photography of the sweet treats!
    Thanks Elizabeth!

    xoxo
    Karena
    New_2013 Designer Series

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love finding a cookbook with beautiful pictures and loaded with practical recipes. Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing my book. So glad you're baking from it! ❤

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...