Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Red Velvet Cheesecake from Say it with Cake



Good morning! I think most, if not all of us, celebrate and mark occasions with something sweet, most often a cake, sometimes a pie and perhaps even a cookie.

As you know baking is a favorite pastime of mine, the other is collecting and reading cookbooks. I love to pour over the pages and take in the photos. Although I collect all sorts of cookbooks, vintage, new, traditional, foreign, my favorite are the baking books which I am quite sure will not come as a surprise. 




I was lucky enough to receive a copy of Say it with Cake written by Edd Kimber,  and photographed by award winning photographer Georgia Glynn Smith and I love it!




The entire book is a feast for the eyes; it looks like a cooking scrapbook, in that there are "stained" and "crumpled" pages, torn notebook paper, index cards with the recipes typed on them, family photos and more. 




Edd, the 2010 winner of the BBC2's, Great British Bake Off, is a self taught baker who's mission it  is to bring baking into everyone's home. Which I think is a very noble mission, to me there is nothing better than a homemade meal, especially a cake. In Say it with Cake, there are over 80 recipes from around the world including cakes, cookies, pies, tarts, truffles, cupcakes and delectable English tea treats.




Each recipe is clear and concise and any that may be considered a challenge are accompanied by step-by-step photographs and tips. Coupled with the stunning and beautifully styled photographs and the mouthwatering recipes this is sure to be one of your favorite cookbooks ever.




I have spent many hours enjoying Edd's recipes and although I have made several the only one that survived to take photos of was the Red Velvet Cheesecake.



As with all of the recipes that I tried it was easy and delicious. The cheesecake was moist and creamy and the perfect compliment to the chocolate cookie crust.

Red Velvet Cheesecake
Recipe: Edd Kimber

Crust:

7oz. Oreo cookies with the filling removed
51/2 Tablespoons of butter melted
pinch of salt

Cheesecake:

31/2 oz. dark chocolate finely chopped
1 cup cream cheese
5 tablespoons of sugar
2/3 cup heavy cream
1-2 teaspoons of red gel food coloring

1. In your blender of food processor grind the cookies into crumbs, add the melted butter. Pour mixture into a 9 inch pie pan and press firmly over the bottom and the sides. Refrigerate until needed.

2. In a small bowl set over a pan of simmering water, melt the chocolate. Once melted remove from heat to cool.

3. In a medium bowl beat together the cream cheese and the sugar. In a separate bowl whip the cream and the food coloring together until it holds soft peaks. Pour the chocolate into the cream mixture and mix gently. Then add the cream/chocolate mixture to the cream cheese mixture and fold until evenly combined. Do not mix or you will deflate the cream. Pour prepared mixture into the cookie crust.

Chill for 2 hours or overnight. Garnish with whipping cream. Serve and enjoy!




I hope that you check out this cookbook for yourself. If you do, please come back and let me know what your favorite recipe is.



By the way if you would like more information on Edd, he continues to bake and to give classes, as well as, to write The Boy Who Bakes. 

Georgia Glynn Smith is directing and photographing. Do visit her web page, you will be blown away when you see all of her stunning photos and the people she has worked with/for in the last 20 years.


I hope that you have a great day!


NOTE:
I was NOT compensated in any way for this post. I was given a copy of the book to review, all opinions are my own. Say it With Cake by Edd Kimber, 2013 Kyle Books. Photographs Copyright Georgia Glynn Smith.

Linking to:

Savvy Southern Style

9 comments:

  1. I have so many baking books, but keep eying up this one, whenever I pass a bookshop. I'm even more tempted now!
    We had the semi-finals of the GBBO (4th series last night!) so I'm really looking forward to next Tuesday evening, it's an all woman final this year, which is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Elizabeth! I am running off to work, but I had to stop in quickly to say hello. Ruben would love this as he is a cheesecake FIEND! I hope to make some roasted acorn squash soup this weekend! Much love, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth! This looks like my kind of recipe book. Those Dulce de leche madeleines look the business, yes please!
    We are addicted to the Great British Bake Off over here. Some of those challenges are very difficult when you have never tried the recipe beforehand. Such fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a baker but even I can make cheesecake! What a great idea for an Xmas dessert!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a great cookbook, Elizabeth! I don't usually make cheesecake but this looks yummy. Thanks for sharing!

    Have a lovely day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a wonderful book Elizabeth and this must be so decadent! I adore cheesecake (all flavors) Red Velvet sounds so rich and delicious. I'll look forward to saving this for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One can never go wrong with cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you. I can sit and flick through recipe books for hours (especially as the months get darker and colder ;-)
    Your cheesecake looks truly delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cookbook looks fabulous. My daughter love red velvet cake, and she needs a little cheering up. This may be the perfect pick-me up. Elizabeth I love to bake as well, but oh how I fight with the guilt of eating what I bake. I live vicariously and with a bit of envy. Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...