Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thanksgiving Desserts: Pumpkin, Apple and More

Good morning! As I mentioned a few times this week I am trying to come up with some menu ideas for Thanksgiving and although I love the potatoes and the yeast rolls to me the meal is all about the dessert! 




After all what would a meal be without something sweet and sugary to cap it off; probably better for our waist line but one does not worry about that during the holidays. Or at least I don't.

All DESSERTS MADE BY PINE CONES AND ACORNS: 1. Pumpkin Pie Hot Chocolate, 2 Pumpkin Cookies with Vanilla Bean Glaze 3. Pumpkin Cake with Whipped Cream Cheese Icing, 4. Starbucks Copycat pumpkin bread with crumble topping, 5.Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake, 6. Chocolate Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars, 7. Pumpkin Cheesecake with Pecan Praline Topping, 8. Spiced Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting, 9. Chocolate Pumpkin Pie

My favorite dessert hands down is homemade pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream. It always reminds me of home and spending time with my mother and grandmother on the eve before Thanksgiving making pie after pie after pie. I like it chilled and made with extra spices but I do not like it made with roasted pumpkins. 


Harvest Apple Pie

Lucky for me a couple of my siblings do not like pumpkin pie, they prefer the traditional apple pie or my grandmother's Slab Apple Pie, leaving me a piece of pumpkin or two for a midnight snack. 


Slab Apple Pie


What are your favorite Thanksgiving desserts? Pumpkin? Apple or Pecan Pie? Do you make your own or do you have a special bakery that you get them from?

Slab Apple Pie Double Crust


I personally enjoy the entire ritual of making pies, the crust the peeling of the apples or the toasting of pecans and it is even more enjoyable when sharing that tasks with family and friends. 

If you do not like apple or pumpkin pies but prefer something of the chocolate variety, check out Once Upon A Chocolate Life or visit my Fall Pinterest Board.

Have a great day!



6 comments:

  1. WOW. I just ate my breakfast and I am feeling rather full, so I think I need to come back for another look at what I know is FABULOUS! Gotta run anyway to school, but have a wonderful day my dear! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, feeling hungry again...

    Admittedly I don't like pecan pie, probably the only one I'd pass on... for the simple reason that I don't like pecans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, dear Elizabeth! I was so happy to see your message, I have been thinking of you too....I'm back at the computer this week, so it is very special for me to visit dear blog friends....life has been hectic, and you are right...we are in full holiday mode now! I love making pumpkin pie....my sister usually prepares a splendid frangipane pear tart (Martha Stewart). Have you tried that recipe? If you enjoy the flavor of marzipan, this tart is beyond. Like you, my sister is an accomplished baker, so it's always a treat when we get a taste of her goodies. Is your family coming to your place this Thanksgiving? Or will you be in Wis.?
    Enjoy the planning, my dear, I can't wait to see what else you cook up....
    And now I will catch up with your posts!
    Love and hugs,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Yumminess!
    Elizabeth! I am cooking two Thanksgiving Dinners this year! You have managed to put quite a "spread" together in your recent posts!
    Thank you for inspiring us!
    w/L

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks wonderfully delicious. My favorite is pecan pie. It was my Mother's specialty. This year I am hoping to have extras over for dessert. I may be expanding my repertoire. Thanks for always sharing your great talents. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummmmo!!! I think I am going to make the slab apple pie for Thanksgiving...it all looks SO good!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...