Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Morning Walk on the Shores

Good morning! The bone, chilling cold has finally moved on and it has warmed up to 5. While I would love to tell you that it feels warmer, it doesn't.   




The weather this morning did not deter me from trying to take a walk at the lake. Notice I said trying; sadly with the wind coming off the Lake it was too cold. So after I snapped these photos I found myself in the park instead.











The lake, like the ocean calls to me. Its siren song lured me down to its misty, icy edge to watch the fog dance across it rippling blue water as it lapped at the burgs formed on the shore. 



It was breathtaking, literally and figuratively. 



The sun shining, the blue sky




gave the illusion that one could sit for a spell. 



But the winds of winter cut through my jacket and pricked at my lungs.






So with a few more clicks from my camera I high tailed it out of there. 





Back to the warmth of the car and my morning cocoa.




 Have you been affected by the "polar vortex?" Did you have to stay in for the last few days? I hope that your weather is warming up and that you have suffered no problems from the unseasonable temperatures, like loss of power, frozen pipes or even being stranded on a plane or a train. 




Have a great day!

12 comments:

  1. These are some beautiful photos Elizabeth. But I'm just stunned at the idea of those tempertures. I can't imagine. I'm such a baby when it comes to the cold, and here (Northern California) it doesn't get lower than the low 40s..I feel guilty admitting this but we've actually having days in the 60s right now and we're supposed to hit 70 by the end of the week. All this sun is actually not good, because we're way below average on our rainfall.
    xo
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! What stunningly beautiful photographs, I can almost feel the cold. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! We have -4 degrees this morning with the promise of 20 by this afternoon. Who knew I'd ever find anything above 15 welcome?!?
    Have a great day,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elizabeth,

    Gorgeous photographs! I admire you for trying to get outside.. those temps are too low for any extended time outdoors!! Brrr! I can't even imagine how this must have felt. I think going back inside (with your warm cocoa;) is a great idea! Stay warm..

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are stunning pictures!! So much beauty. It has been cold in NJ but nothing like what everyone else is dealing with, not even close. Stay warm.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, these photos are incredible! You are seriously brave to go out to take these shots. I hope it has warmed up a little bit! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photographs. My subconcious demands that beaches look sandy and warm but Nature always surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breath-taking photographs! I am glad it is warming a bit. Driving home after a luncheon layers of ice were falling from the trees and power lines. Each time something hit my car I would jump. Now it is all melted and it is a balmy 35 degrees. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It IS breathtaking! Oh my what a beautiful frozen landscape!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! So beautiful but looks soooooo cold. That ice looks like sculpture. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These images are so gorgeous that I can almost feel the cold...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These shots feel cold! Very beautiful too. I'm always struck by the artistic streak you can find in ice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit Pine Cones and Acorns. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Although I try to come to visit every blog that comments sometimes I just do not get the chance, but I do try to comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...